Nicknamed the “front page of the internet,” Reddit is a vast network of communities where millions of people go every day to share and discuss the most interesting content online. With over 450 million monthly users, Reddit is home to the largest and most passionate communities for almost every interest under the sun—from news and politics to beauty, sports, gaming and more.
Reddit has raised $600m in private financing from Tencent, Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia Capital, SV Angel, Y Combinator, Coatue Management, and others. Their last round of financing was a D round of $300m that valued the business at $3B.
Reddit has almost doubled since then. The company has 700 employees and is based in San Francisco, California.
How You'll Have Impact:
Reddit is seeking a talented and hungry Engineering Director to lead the Reddit Economy team and grow it to a $200M+ business.
The Econ team’s mission is to enable Reddit’s independent existence for the foreseeable future. Two years in, the team has been doubling revenue annually. To achieve our mission, we need to keep doubling or even tripling the revenue.
The goal is not only to generate revenue but to do it in a fun and user friendly way. Reddit Awards is an example of a fun monetization product that makes everyone happy - users who pay to give awards, those who receive them, and everyone else who benefit from colorful curation. If this team is successful, we will not only transform Reddit but also change the way the Internet is monetized.
Reporting into the VP of Special Project, the Econ Engineering Director will drive the strategy, execution, and recruiting for the team. The ideal candidate is an experienced, entrepreneurial engineering leader, understands online consumers and communities, and is hungry to grow a massive business from a promising foundation.
What You'll Do:
- Lead the Econ Engineering Team, defining strategy and driving execution.
- Grow Econ revenue to ~$200M annually over the next 5 years.
- Recruit, coach and empower engineering leaders and engineers
- Plan and deliver against aggressive deadlines
- Work closely with internal stakeholders, including product, design, executive leadership, and XFN teams
Who You Might Be:
- Experience building and running a high performance engineering team
- Experience iterating quickly to find a product market fit
- Deep understanding of technology
- Understanding of business strategy and tactics
- Ability to closely collaborate with product management and design teams
- Experience moving fast without breaking things