San Francisco / New York / LA / Remote
“The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
As Director for Ad Serving and Marketplace you will lead our ad serving, machine learning and optimization heavy engineering efforts. Over the past year our Ads Engineering team has doubled in size while seeing tremendous growth in our ads business. This is a senior leadership role poised to play a starring role in our continued success.
How You Will Have Impact
Advertising is Reddit’s primary business model and we have an ambitious goal to turn it into a massive business. Although several large digital ad platforms already exist, advertisers are being increasingly drawn to Reddit because of our passionate communities that drive action. This large number of self-governed communities have highly-engaged users who are in an unduplicated mindset of consuming relevant information. This has created the opportunity for Reddit to build a massive and highly differentiated ads business.
We have spent the past few years building the foundations of a modern ad serving system, building features to help brand and performance advertisers find their audiences on Reddit and get high ROI on their ad spend. We’re now ready to build differentiated products on top of those foundations, learning from the best how to marry auction theory, machine learning and good old-fashioned distributed system design to build a massive-scale platform that works on behalf of our customers.
Reporting to the Head of Ads Engineering, you will be responsible for influencing the team’s overall product strategy through the lens of engineering innovation. You will work directly with senior product management, engineering and cross-functional leadership from Sales and Marketing to align with our business goals.
You will be responsible for recruiting, retaining and mentoring a team of world-class engineers and leaders from a diverse set of backgrounds to help Reddit reach its ambitious goals.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop, drive and execute the long term engineering vision and strategy for ad retrieval, ranking, and marketplace efforts increasing the value of Reddit’s advertising for both advertisers and users.
- Lead, manage and grow our Ad Serving, Direct Response and Ads Optimization and Modeling teams. Provide mentorship and growth opportunities for team members to evolve in their roles.
- Hold teams accountable for consistent, high-quality development across the department. Ensure our output is aligned with our business goals.
- Direct research and development for machine learning based ads optimization and modeling efforts, ensuring that the ads we show to users are relevant and timely.
- Work closely with data privacy and data security teams at Reddit to ensure our ads business is proactive in protecting our users’ privacy.
Who You Might Be:
- 6+ years experience building and leading engineering teams.
- 6+ years experience developing high-quality software products.
- Able to communicate and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience with large-scale, data-intensive and mission-critical distributed systems hosted in cloud environments.
- Experience building machine learning enabled products with tightly measured objectives.
- Previous experience in ad serving or ads optimization is a must.
- You have a Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent technical expertise