"The front page of the internet,” Reddit brings over 330 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
The Reddit Security team is rapidly developing and this is an opportunity to get in and have an outsized impact on a highly skilled and motivated team. We look for humble experts with a relentlessly resourceful and entrepreneurial, “can do” view of security. We want to deliver facts and not FUD to the business to enable them to manage risk more effectively. Culture is important to us and a learning and developing mentality is vital regardless of the work assigned.
This role will be responsible for advancing our cloud and network security capabilities.
- You will design/architect/implement network security features and functionality such as network access controls, inbound and outbound traffic filtering and monitoring, subnetting for isolation, etc.
- Research, evaluate, design, test, recommend, communicate, and implement new network security tools such as IDS/IPS tools, anomaly detection, vulnerability and configuration management and log analysis
- Partner with network engineering, operations and business teams to integrate, implement and manage security instrumentation
- You utilize cloud-based APIs when appropriate to write network security tools for securing cloud environments
- Work with cloud engineering teams to ensure multi-tenant cloud infrastructure and software meets the security best practices
- Iterate network security posture to better protect against attacks and detect new vectors
- You lead network efforts to mitigate and investigate security incidents
- Develop automation and utilize frameworks to scale both protection and mitigation tools
- You will mentor and evangelize security practices through cross-functional work with infrastructure and engineering teams.
- 7+ years of hands-on experience in Network Security
- Experience with cloud, IaaS, PaaS, ‘network-as-a-service’ environment is preferable
- Experience in crafting secure network architecture for cloud/distributed systems
- Background in network service, content provider operation, or larger scale cloud hosting
- Understanding of current security issues and threats and risks that can manifest in larger scale complex systems
- Working knowledge of Windows and Linux (Redhat/CentOS and Ubuntu) networking
- Experience coding Python, Shell or Perl scripts in order to push software and network interaction
- Excellent knowledge of Windows/Linux internals, ACLs and OS level security protection and common protocols e.g. TCP, HTTPS, IPMI, DHCP etc.
- Understanding and/or experience of AWS security
- Comfortable with automation and configuration management tools such as Jenkins, Ansible, Puppet/chef, Load Balancers, DNS Management, SSO Integration, Authorization Tokens
- Knowledge of SSH, keystores, security certificates, user and password management, authentication and authorization, session management
- Demonstrated track record of managing network security programs
- Proficiency in taking threat models and applying effective network security strategies at scale
- Ability to interact effectively with people at all levels of the organization
- Humble expert with a sense of urgency
- Skilled at taking complex topics and making them simple
- Transparent judgment and stands behind their decisions, right or wrong
- Team focus with an ability to lead in a matrixed organization