Your work will change lives. Including your own.
Recursion is a Data Company - we have built a large and proprietary dataset with over 1 million unique biological perturbations profiled in a high-dimensional biological platform and validated across a range of biological and chemistry assays. We are taking an innovative and industrialized approach to phenotypic drug discovery, leveraging our inference-based Recursion Map to predict tens of billions of relationships between disease models and potential therapeutic candidates. We are looking for someone to lead an ambitious strategy around our value-driving data and more, ensuring that Recursion achieves and maintains an industry leading position on how new drugs are discovered and delivered to benefit patients.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Own the long term vision of Recursion’s data strategy, and ensure it evolves as necessary with our business needs for technology enabled drug discovery.
- Drive execution of Recursion’s data strategy: ensuring data quality, metadata management, and stewardship of the data through its full lifecycle, encompassing multiple data types from diverse teams/sources.
- Realize Recursion’s vision of utilizing our best-in-class highly-connected data to fuel our AI/ML powered drug discovery engine, rather than create data that becomes the engine’s exhaust.
- Work closely with leaders across the organization to drive understanding and awareness of Recursion’s data systems, their challenges and help set future strategy.
- Assess the health and operational performance of Recursion's data posture against internal and external benchmarks.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive data governance strategy that ensures data accessibility while providing necessary security to ensure data integrity.
- Ensure Recursion leads and continues to innovate at the forefront of industrialized drug discovery.
The Team You'll Join
- You will join Recursion’s Technology Engineering leadership team, closely collaborating with our delivery focused operational teams providing world class research and technology services designed and fit for purpose. You will collaborate with leaders across Recursion to ensure the fidelity and governance of high quality data, data accessibility and management in order to realize our mission to decode biology and improve patients' lives.
The Skills You'll Need
- Previous experience stewarding the curation, aggregation, and management of a diversity of biological and chemical data types.
- Previous experience with driving data strategy and data governance in biotech or similar specialized industry, balancing the complexity of advanced analytical needs with requirements for data and analysis traceability, durability, and reporting.
- Knowledge of industry leading data quality and data protection management practices.
- Experience crafting and scaling data standards, processes, and procedures and rolling them out company wide
- Experience with modern, on-demand, high volume data management systems, such as Snowflake, Databricks Delta Lakehouse or Google Big Query, and operating in a Cloud Native environment, such as Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Service (AWS), Azure, etc.
- Experience managing teams with diverse skill sets directly or in a matrix environment, and leading through influence across the organization
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.