Your work will change lives. Including your own.
At Recursion, we combine experimental biology, chemistry, automation and artificial intelligence to quickly and efficiently identify treatments for diseases. We generate a wide variety of data across different biological and chemical domains, and build models off of that data. Reporting to the Director of Engineering for this group, the ML Platform Engineering Manager will work to provide first-in-class capabilities and infrastructure that accelerate and enable machine learning across the business.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Enable your teams for scale - The Machine Learning Platform team is working to operationalize and platformatize deep learning at scale. They recently published an article explaining how we are doing this today, and this leader will help them make our ambitious goals happen.
- Act as a mentor, coach, and sponsor - You will share your technical and nontechnical knowledge and experiences, delivering impact, learning, and growth across teams at Recursion. We believe that the best work comes from working across organizational boundaries and you will have opportunities to partner with groups across the business.
- Create a culture of platforms - You will help drive the vision and adoption of platforms broadly at Recursion, helping sell teams and leaders on how to accelerate work using the platforms we have and understanding their needs to inform the platforms we will build.
The Team You’ll Join
Recursion has built a unique dataset (over 1 million unique biological perturbations profiled in a high-dimensional biological assay, making up nearly 20 PB of highly-relatable data) and a unique approach to phenotypic drug discovery using our inference-based Recursion Map to predict tens of billions of relationships between disease models and therapeutic candidates. You will join a team of software and machine learning engineers working to standardize and automate the process of training and evaluating deep learning models with the data. We are expanding the ML applications we support, maximizing the use of our gpu cluster that is ranked in the Top 150 Supercomputers. You will partner with product and users to identify the most impactful features and capabilities for us to accelerate as our research and production needs become more diverse. The capabilities you provide to machine learning scientists will allow them to have increased understanding of our models and move them into production with confidence. You will report to the Director of Engineering for Technology Infrastructure.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Significant experience as a software engineer and/or machine learning engineer and excitement for deeply engaging in technical discussions and decisions your team is making.
- A passion for building platforms over products, particularly to solve machine learning challenges.
- Experience leading technical teams using both technical and interpersonal skills to achieve results.
- A people-first mindset. Despite the deadlines, we always prioritize supporting our coworkers in their growth and experience.
- Demonstrate past record of learning from and teaching peers in areas of performance, scalability, and system architecture.
- Experience working across a business on highly collaborative projects.
- Excitement to learn parts of our tech stack that you might not already know. Our current tech stack includes: Python, Determined AI, Prefect, Kubernetes, and Docker. Our cloud services are provided by Google Cloud Platform.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.