Building a map of human biology is uncharted territory. Come help us pave the way.
Recursion is the clinical-stage biotechnology company industrializing drug discovery by decoding biology. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to infer biological relationships. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Eight years ago, we were staining plates by hand. Today, we've created a library of more than one billion cellular images on the basis of a radically different approach to biotech. This is a bold approach that we believe will reinvent drug discovery and development.
If you draw a line from eight years ago to today, you’ll see our trajectory and understand that Recursion is a very different kind of company. You cannot make these kinds of leaps simply by adding incubators, fluorescent microscopes, and robots to automate processes at scale. Our drug discovery strategies are map and data-driven rather than target-driven, revealing destinations you might never have considered. As the Director, Medicinal Chemistry, you’ll be in a position to directly accelerate the timeline of getting drugs into the hands of patients who need them.
The Impact You’ll Make
Recursion Pharmaceuticals is at the forefront of reimaging drug discovery through the integration of automated cell biology, high-dimensional and diverse data sets, and sophisticated analytics. We are seeking a Director, Medicinal Chemistry to build and advance Recursion’s discovery projects. You will lead cross-functional drug discovery projects and medicinal chemistry efforts. In this role, you will:
- Build - In partnership with biologists, data scientists and others you will build teams and projects across therapeutic areas designed to translate phenotypic hits to preclinical and clinical assets with quality and speed.
- Lead - As our company continues to grow, you will be a strategic leader within a nimble, highly efficient chemistry team.
- Collaborate - Work in a cross-functional matrix organization with biologists, chemists, data scientists, and engineers with a passion for drug discovery.
- Communicate - Independently prepare impactful presentations for senior leaders and partners to allow for informed data-based decision making.
- Mentor - You will work together with Principal and Senior Scientists in medicinal chemistry as we industrialize drug discovery.
The Team You’ll Join
Reporting to our VP of Chemistry, you will be a leader within the discovery organization partnering with others to build and advance the portfolio of preclinical small molecule NCE and repurposed assets. You will use your depth and breadth of understanding of the preclinical discovery process to help build efficient research operating plans to capitalize on Recursion’s AI-enabled high throughput phenotypic screening platform. You will work in a highly matrixed organization to advance molecules from hit identification to lead series and ultimately to candidate status. Your skills will be of high value as you work with cross-functional stakeholders to advance Recursion’s pipeline.
The Experience You’ll Need
- PhD in synthetic, organic, or medicinal chemistry with 8+ years pharma experience in medicinal chemistry drug discovery
- 4+ years experience leading and mentoring a Chemistry team
- A strong record of productivity as demonstrated by publications/patents
- Expertise in synthetic organic chemistry (experience working with CROs a plus)
- Experience advancing hits to leads and candidate status
- A thorough understanding of drug design principles, DMPK, toxicology, etc
- Experience influencing cross-functional partners
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.