Your work will change lives. Including your own.
Recursion is the clinical-stage biotechnology company industrializing drug discovery by decoding biology. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to infer biological relationships. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Eight years ago, we were staining plates by hand. Today, we've created a library of more than one billion cellular images on the basis of a radically different approach to biotech. This is a bold approach that we believe will reinvent drug discovery and development.
If you draw a line from eight years ago to today, you’ll see our trajectory and understand that Recursion is a very different kind of company. You cannot make these kinds of leaps simply by adding incubators, fluorescent microscopes, and robots to automate processes at scale. Our drug discovery strategies are map and data-driven rather than target-driven, revealing destinations you might never have considered.
While we offer cutting-edge tools and an amazing lab, the secret sauce is our people. Everyday you’ll face a challenge you’ve literally never seen before. But you’ll be surrounded by humble experts who will happily drop everything to support you, get exposure to a wide range of ideas and approaches, and be asked to think beyond the obvious to solve those challenges. Our organization structure and culture isn't driven by politics or ego, it is designed first and foremost to help you do your best work.
You’ll be joining Recursion at an interesting time, both for the company and for the world. The global pandemic has reinforced in everyone’s mind not only the importance of therapeutics, but also the critical value that accelerating every phase of drug discovery and development can provide. For most, the notion that “patients can’t wait” is abstract; COVID-19 has made this concept all too real for millions, even billions, worldwide. As the Principal Scientist, Discovery ADME, you’ll be in a position to directly accelerate the timeline of getting drugs into the hands of patients who need them.
The Impact You’ll Make
Recursion Pharmaceuticals is at the forefront of reimaging drug discovery through the integration of automated cell biology, high-dimensional and diverse data sets, and sophisticated analytics. We are seeking a Principal Scientist, Discovery ADME to help us accelerate Recursion’s discovery and early development portfolio. You will provide expert ADME guidance for programs that are approaching candidate selection with drug discovery. As a Principal Scientist, you will:
- Work closely with highly engaged partners to address unmet needs of patients with high quality clinical candidates
- Impact programs spanning early discovery through clinical development, impacting all aspects of Recursion's efforts
- Partner with AI and machine learning experts to develop and leverage state of the art predictive and computational tools to expedite ADME optimization efforts
- Partner to define and execute ADME strategy, producing comprehensive IND-enabling data packages including translational plans, human dose projections, DDI liability assessments, and input for Phase 1 design
- Support and mentor junior staff on project teams and within DMPK
The Team You’ll Join
You will join Recursion's DMPK department, reporting to the Senior Director of DMPK. DMPK is an end-to-end organization, designed to impact all phases of drug discovery and development. The team is dedicated to leveraging translational planning in the earliest phases of discovery projects, enabling acceleration of candidate selection. You will work closely with colleagues in Medicinal Chemistry, Clinical Pharmacology, Biology, Pharmacology, Toxicology and others.
The Experience You’ll Need
- PhD, PharmD with 5+ years serving as ADME program lead in drug discovery/development or MS with 7+ years in drug discovery/development biotech or pharma experience
- ADME program representative encompassing lead optimization, candidate selection, IND and IB preparation, and early clinical development
- Using PK/PD and MIDD approaches to inform progression of drug discovery efforts from basic research through clinical development
- Experience using predictive ADMET models in discovery research
- Experience mentoring junior staff
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.