Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Team You’ll Join
With treatments for hundreds of diseases in our sights, we’ve built a data science team with domain expertise in computer science, physics, biology, mathematics, applied statistics, and more. We work side-by-side with Biologists, Automation Scientists, Chemists, Software Engineers, and many others; together, we develop the tools and methods to turn our experimental data into treatments for pathologies that affect the lives of countless individuals. In this role, you will also leverage your experience to effectively gauge the scope and impact of your projects against the broader team and company goals in collaboration with a team lead and project manager.
The Impact You’ll Make
As an engineering specialist on the Data Science team, you’ll work closely with Data Scientists, software and data engineers, and other stakeholders on the biology, chemistry, HTS, and management teams to build the infrastructure and applications needed to decode human biology and reinvent drug discovery. In this role, you will:
- Create a world-class data science research toolkit. You will help us develop the research toolkit that leverages petabytes of data and provides the Data Science team with the tools necessary to quickly iterate on analytical approaches and deploy ML models to our production systems. Your experience working directly with large datasets and delivering on data science projects will provide you with the fluency you’ll need to understand, develop, and apply the analytical tools the Data Science team needs.
- Build, scale, and operate a streaming data analysis platform. You’ll be part of a team responsible for scaling both our research and production analysis systems, and powers the continued operation and scale-up of our drug discovery engine. Your technical expertise with Python, the Python data stack, Kafka, Docker, PostgreSQL, Big Query, and other cloud services provided by Google Cloud Platform will empower you to be a technical domain expert on the Data Science team and effectively collaborate with our dedicated engineering teams.
- Directly contribute to the drug discovery effort. You’ll engage with multiple project teams in the development of new assays, disease models, and screening campaigns to supply data science and engineering expertise and drive the technical development required to discover new treatments.
- Act as a mentor to peers. You will share your technical knowledge and experience in order to have a multiplicative impact on the productivity and effectiveness of the team and, by extension, the entire organization.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Minimum of 2 years in industry setting on a data science or engineering team
- Experience working with production repositories and developing deployable data-science products.
- High fluency with Python and the Python data stack (pandas, sklearn, etc).
- An ability to write well tested, instrumented, and documented code that can be continuously deployed into a production environment with confidence.
- Demonstrable expertise in aspects of code optimization including performance, scalability, and ergonomics.
- Curiosity and the professional skill-set to excel in an open, highly collaborative environment.
Nice to Have
- Biology background is not necessary, but intellectual curiosity is a must!
- Experience developing analytical tools and systems for image-based biological datasets or bioinformatics for sequence-based datasets.
- Code you can share. Send a link along with your email.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility*
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute*
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars*
- Fully-paid gym membership to Metro Fitness, located just feet away from our headquarters*
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking*
*Subject to change for remote-based employees during the COVID-19 pandemic
More About Us
Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery. Recursion does this by combining automation, artificial intelligence, machine learning, in vivo validation capabilities and a highly cross-functional team to discover novel medicines that expand our collective understanding of biology. Recursion’s rich, relatable database of over 4 petabytes of biological images generated in-house on the company’s robotics platform enables advanced machine learning approaches to reveal drug candidates, mechanisms of action, novel chemistry, and potential toxicity, with the eventual goal of decoding biology and advancing new therapeutics that radically improve people’s lives. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.