Executive Director - Biotech Incubator
Recursion and the University of Utah’s Center for Technology & Venture Commercialization (TVC) are launching an incubator to help foster the next generation of biotech and tech companies in Salt Lake City. The search is now on for an Executive Director to launch and help shape the biotech incubator - including marketing, raising funds and finding startup companies, including those led by underrepresented founders. The primary objectives of the role are to promote growth of the life sciences/tech environment in Salt Lake City and support companies led by women and other groups underrepresented in tech/biotech.
Reporting to Recursion’s CEO, the Executive Director will also operate the physical space and provide comprehensive support for the tenant companies—including mentoring, educational opportunities, exposure to potential investors, and introductions for basic business services. While the Executive Director would provide support and guidance to founders, they would also benefit from a variety of resources: mentorship from Recursion leaders, collaboration with the University of Utah, access to a well-connected investor network, and involvement in a growing biotech community.
Utah is among the fastest growing job markets for both life sciences and tech in the nation. This is a unique opportunity for someone who is passionate about supporting diversity and inclusion and contributing to a biotech ecosystem in a location known for livability, recreation, and a healthy business climate. The 14,500-square-foot facility, including 5,000 square feet of wet lab space, is located at the base of the picturesque Wasatch Mountains and is 30 minutes from world-class ski resorts, 20 minutes to an international airport, 10 minutes to downtown Salt Lake City, and six minutes from hiking trails.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- SCALE the operation and have hands-on involvement, from set up to strategy
- INFLUENCE a new wave of visionary founders and collaborate with leaders at Recursion and the University of Utah TVC
- TRANSFORM Salt Lake City into a sustainable biotech center, or at least play an influential role in its development
- FUNDRAISE and secure donations and key partners in the venture
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Exposure to marketing and raising funds to launch a new endeavor
- Previous experience in the life sciences
- Previous operational experience at business accelerator, incubator, or fast-growing start up
- Demonstrated success managing large-scale projects with a team of internal researchers and diverse stakeholders
- Experience in biotechnology, life sciences, or technology entrepreneurship
- Remarkable business acumen, genuine curiosity, and passion for creating an inclusive environment
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY
- Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums (in most cases 100%)
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter) in addition to flexible, generous vacation/sick leave
- Commuter benefit and free parking to ease your commute
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.