At Recursion, we care deeply about the impact our work has on patients and families, and about applying the most cutting-edge and effective analysis techniques to discover life-changing treatments. We have one of the largest and most consistent biological datasets in existence - tens of billions of images of cells under a huge number of biological and chemical perturbations, generated in our own labs. This platform is the core of our mission: transforming drug discovery into a data science problem.
Recursion’s data science team works at the nexus of statistics, machine learning, software engineering, chemistry, biology, and high-throughput automation to build and analyze our unique dataset to rapidly discover new treatments. As a Director in data science, you'll work with, mentor, and develop our data scientists to grow and accomplish their missions to identify and answer questions and build systems to propel Recursion’s drug discovery engine forward.
If you are passionate about growing and enabling highly mission-driven, interdisciplinary data science teams, let’s talk.
HOW YOU’LL CONTRIBUTE:
This is a management position reporting to the VP of Data Science. In this role you will:
As a people manager, your success comes in the form of engaged, high-performing employees who are growing in their careers and steadily contributing to the data science team progress. You will mentor, coach, and sponsor your direct reports to grow new leaders and expert contributors.
You will partner with talent acquisitions and other data science managers to improve our hiring system, proactively define and improve upon team processes, and continuously monitor and improve your team’s health. You will further collaborate with other data science leads and the VP of Data Science in defining the trajectory of the data science team as a whole.
As a Director of Data Science, you will use your experience to effectively guide, mentor, and coach those on your team to grow in their capabilities and to effectively execute on projects that improve Recursion’s drug discovery data science systems. From time to time you may also assume technical leadership responsibilities, including collaboration with product management, project planning, and driving towards established goals. Even when not assuming those technical responsibilities, you will develop those capabilities in others, and thus must be highly technically proficient yourself.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU’LL NEED:
- 3+ years of experience managing high-performing technology teams, particularly in areas of data science and machine learning.
- Experience with building and growing technology teams.
- Experience mentoring, coaching and developing data scientists in their careers.
- High fluency (equivalent skills of 5+ years of experience; industry experience strongly preferred) with data science and machine learning approaches and experience with high-dimensional numerical datasets.
- High fluency with the Python data stack (pandas, sklearn, etc).
- Experience in computational biology, computational chemistry, real-world image analysis, and/or statistical process control is preferred but not required.
- Code you can share (send a link along with your email) is helpful but not required.
- Curiosity and the professional skill-set to excel in an open, highly collaborative environment.
- Experience collaborating closely with product management and cross-functional leadership.
- A track record of outstanding past projects, publications, or presentations.
PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY
- Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums (in most cases 100%)
- 401(k) with generous matching
- Flexible, generous vacation/sick leave
- Company-provided lunches, snacks, and beverages to keep you fueled up and focused
- Industry-leading paid maternity, paternity, and adoption leave
- Two one-week company closures during the winter holidays and during the peak of summer
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Impressive office and laboratory space located in downtown Salt Lake City
- In-office showers, lockers, bike parking, an 65-ft climbing wall (yes, inside our office), nearby trail access - to facilitate an active and outdoorsy lifestyle
WHAT WE DO
We have raised over $200M to apply machine learning to one of the most unique datasets in existence - tens of millions of images of cells under a huge number of biological and chemical perturbations, generated in our own labs - to find treatments for hundreds of diseases. Our long-term mission is to decode biology to radically improve lives - we want to understand biology so well that we can fix most things that go wrong in our bodies.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.