WHAT WE DO
We have raised over $200M to apply machine learning to one of the most unique datasets in existence - tens of millions of images of cells under a huge number of biological and chemical perturbations, generated in our own labs - to find treatments for hundreds of diseases. Our long-term mission is to decode biology to radically improve lives - we want to understand biology so well that we can fix most things that go wrong in our bodies.
HOW YOU’LL CONTRIBUTE
You'll work with others on the data science, biology, and engineering teams to design and train neural networks that lift our drug discovery platform to new levels of effectiveness. This platform is the core of our mission: transforming drug discovery into a data science problem. We’re tackling insanely challenging problems, often without obvious solutions, but our growing team has already made rapid progress, and we need to go faster.
The high-level job description has only one item: help us make progress in identifying cures for diseases.
- You'll design and evaluating new neural network architectures for representing the information contained in the 50+ TB of cellular images that we produce in-house each week.
- You'll train networks to predict the outcomes of cumbersome and expensive assays that are performed by typical pharmaceutical companies.
- You'll help create a model of human cellular biology by learning the many layers of interactions underlying the changes in cells caused by genetic and chemical perturbations.
- You'll present publishable work at top machine learning conferences.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 4+ years of hands-on experience with modern machine learning, especially deep learning applied to computer vision tasks. PhD in CS or related field is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to design and execute on applied deep learning projects.
- Outstanding past projects, publications, or presentations.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with diverse teams of varying scientific backgrounds.
- Be adaptable, resilient, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Biology background is not necessary, but genuine curiosity is a must!
With full commitment from us, this role is open to remote candidates and can be based anywhere (with required monthly travel to our headquarters in Salt Lake City). While we’d love to have you based in Salt Lake City with the rest of us (did you know that the nearest chairlift to our office is only 34 minutes away?), we will support you doing the most impactful work of your life from a location that makes sense for you.
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY
- Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums (in most cases 100%)
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter) in addition to flexible, generous vacation/sick leave
- Commuter benefit
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Stipend for gym membership
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Check out what it is like to work at Recursion here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpOENLieOd8