At Recursion, we combine experimental biology, automation and artificial intelligence to quickly and efficiently identify treatments for human diseases. The Director of Data Science (Computational Chemistry) oversees the development and use of computational chemistry methods and their synthesis with machine learning and data science approaches to augment our AI platform, accelerate our current drug discovery programs, and lead towards the discovery of high value medicines.
THE PROBLEMS YOU’LL SOLVE
This is a management position reporting to the VP of Data Science and collaborating closely with the VP of Chemistry. You’ll play a crucial role in the expansion of Recursion’s capabilities downstream of our high-throughput image-based phenotypic discovery platform. In particular, you will collaborate with diverse groups to oversee the development and onboarding of ligand-based drug design techniques and capabilities to complement and augment a phenotypic-discovery-oriented process.
In this role you will:
- Develop people and build teams - As a people manager, your success comes in the form of engaged, high-performing employees and teams. You will mentor and develop your reports to grow new leaders and expert contributors; will partner with talent acquisition and other managers to improve our hiring system, processes, and team health; and will collaborate with peer leads and the VP of Data Science to establish the trajectory of the organization.
- Guide, Create, and Question - Just because something has been done for decades doesn’t mean it’s optimal. You will bring new methods to bear while staying sensible about the value that exists from many tried and true approaches, and guide your team in the implementation of a creative vision for computational chemistry and drug discovery.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU’LL NEED
- Advanced degree in Computational Chemistry, Physical Organic Chemistry, Computer Science,Machine Learning, or relevant fields.
- Experience in defining and executing research programs on open problems in computational medicinal chemistry and pharmacology as part of multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience in managing research scientists to execute both active candidate projects as well as longer-term research and development programs.
- 3+ years experience in developing ligand-based drug design methods, including pharmacophore modeling, QSAR, 3D-QSAR, and conformational analysis.
- Experience in developing novel predictive models for DMPK/Tox to drive active candidate programs is highly desired.
- Experience developing new methods, tools and products in computational chemistry for drug design and virtual library assembly/screening
- Experience with machine learning methods, including classification and regression techniques, pairwise comparison, multiple-instance learning, neural networks, deep learning and graph convolutions
- Experience with Unix/Linux, Python and ML packages such as Scikit-Learn, TensorFlow, PyTorch, and/or Keras
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY
- Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums (in most cases 100%)
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter) in addition to flexible, generous vacation/sick leave
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Fully-paid gym membership to Metro Fitness, located just feet away from our new headquarters
- Gleaming new 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking
WHAT WE DO
Recursion is reinventing the pharmaceutical industry’s approach to drug discovery. Our unique platform combines the most advanced biology, high-throughput automation, and artificial intelligence to rapidly discover treatments for rare diseases, diverse immune and inflammatory diseases and new indications in the future ...
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Check out what it is like to work at Recursion here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpOENLieOd8