Buying a used car has been essentially the same for 75 years: what’s the mileage, what’s the vehicle history, get a mechanic to check out the moving parts and haggle over the price. As electric vehicles (EVs) hit the used market, buyers are changing the way they research and buy.
Recurrent is the future of how used electric cars are bought and sold. We’ll be entering the established online auto marketplace business on the basis of a unique differentiator, our independent EV battery reports. As the first mover on used EV battery analysis, we have the best set of cross-manufacturer battery aging data to develop the most accurate predictive algorithm for future battery life and range.
Why are we doing this? Road vehicles represent 20% of carbon emissions globally, and have accounted for the vast majority of transportation emissions increase since 1970. Electrifying passenger vehicles, in parallel with transitioning our power grid to cleaner energy sources, really moves the needle on climate. We’re going to be a critical part of making that shift -- facilitating the secondary market.
You will join the founding team to design, build, and ship a product that helps consumers buy used electric cars. You will have the opportunity to significantly impact product design and direction based on a solid understanding of customer needs.
As an Senior Back-end Engineer at Recurrent, you’ll…
- Work closely with a small cross functional team to quickly design and build new features from the ground up.
- Influence our choices around architecture and system design.
- Have the opportunity to focus on the back-end of the stack including database and API design and data science pipelines.
- Integrate with various third party APIs to fetch data for use in our data science pipelines.
- Maintain service infrastructure and help improve the reliability of our software.
This job might be for you if you have...
- Experience with the tools and technologies we currently use or have demonstrated ability to learn quickly. We currently use: Ruby on Rails on the backend, React (Next.js & TypeScript) on the frontend, Python in our data science pipeline, and AWS infrastructure.
- Architecture and System Design experience. As a senior engineer on our team, you will make significant contributions to architectural choices and how we approach system design.
- Leadership qualities. You will also play an important role in developing the hiring process for our growing team, as well as helping nurture junior developers we may hire in the future.
- The outlook of a generalist. In this role you'll primarily focus on backend systems and architecture. However, we're a small team and we wear a lot of hats, so being willing and excited to dive in and help out across the entire stack is important.
- A collaborative working style. With a small remote-first team like ours where everything is moving fast, it's easy to get out of sync with each other. Great products are only built by teams who work together effectively, so good collaboration and communication are essential to our success.
- A pragmatic attitude. Not everything we build will be built to perfection. We want to build quality software, but our first goal is to build a sustainable business. We have to balance our efforts appropriately.
Location: This job can be based anywhere in the U.S. in a time zone that is reasonably compatible with Pacific. We’re a remote-first company that is currently clustered in the Pacific Northwest, but we want to work with great folks wherever they are.
We are an equal opportunity employer and highly value diversity at Recurrent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.