Who we are
Recharge is the leader in powering physical subscriptions, making it one of the most important ecommerce engines. Recharge powers over 50M subscriptions worldwide and has processed more than 10B in transactions. More than 15K brands such as Verve Coffee Roasters, Bokksu, Who Gives A Crap, Geologie, Bite Toothpaste Bits and The Sill rely on Recharge daily to grow their businesses and delight their customers.
Recharge’s mission is to enable brands and merchants to form strong, lasting relationships with their customers through recurring purchases. As merchants seek ways to drive more direct sales and distribution through their channels and move away from a reliance on traditional online marketing strategies, Recharge has made it possible to grow businesses with seamless, recurring customer transactions.
Bootstrapped until 2020, Recharge is valued at over 2.1B dollars and is a double unicorn with a total raise of 277M dollars. Join us as we work with our merchants to define the future of ecommerce.
As the head of design at Recharge, you’re an e-commerce expert and have strong opinions about how people consume products and how brands engage their shoppers. You believe that there is a sea change happening in e-commerce, where shoppers are moving beyond transactions with a merchant and forming ongoing relationships. Dreaming up ways in which brands can engage with their shoppers, to deepen their relationships is one of the main reasons that inspired you to join Recharge.
You believe that design starts with personas, user stories, and enough research that gives us insight into how we build products that our merchants and shoppers will enjoy using. You believe in paper prototyping and other rapid prototyping techniques to inform how we build products that just work and you firmly believe that prototyping before you start development is a way to move faster, not slower.
Having seen companies grow to Internet-scale, you appreciate the value of design systems and you have strong opinions about how such programs are rolled out inside a company.
Your strong opinions about design systems, design approach, and the future of e-commerce serve you well in this role because Recharge’s design journey is just getting started.
You report to the SVP of Product and Engineering, Han Yuan at Recharge, and have the same seat at the table as the head of product, head of product marketing, and head of engineering. As a partner in the research and development process, you provide the checks and balances to ensure that Recharge is always building a product that serves the company’s needs in a way that customers readily understand and adopt.
You know you’ve succeeded at Recharge, when people talk about Recharge as a thought leader when it comes to powering the merchant shopper relationships of some of the world’s biggest brands, and have built a design team that influences all of Recharge’s decisions both large and small.
What you’ll do
- Live by and champion our values: #day-one, #ownership, #empathy, #humility.
- Set and execute the design strategy for the product, ensuring that our user experience is a competitive i across all touch points.
- Drive continuous improvement of our merchant experience by improving on existing and new feature designs, while balancing and incorporating customer feedback and product strategy.
- Build, manage, and develop a team of designers to enable this org to scale alongside the rest of the company.
- Partner closely with various stakeholders including Product, Engineering, and Marketing to drive both the strategy and execution of user-centric design experiences.
- Build and scale both our systems and our strategies, ensuring the team is well-positioned to keep up with the hyper growth of the company.
What you’ll bring
- 10+ years of management experience leading design teams at companies that are at Internet-scale at either an e-commerce or a payments company
- Deep understanding of Figma best practices
- Understanding how to reconcile design ambitions with an API-forward approach
- Experience building a user research motion
- Rapid prototyping/iterative design
- Experience building information architectures used by millions of users
- Experience building design system efforts from scratch
- Experience attracting, growing, and retaining design talent
- Experience driving collaboration between design and the engineering, product management, product marketing, and quality teams.
- Experienced using design thinking to drive product strategy.
Recharge Payments is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with our principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Recharge Payments prohibits any form of workplace harassment.