Rebag (rebag.com), the ultimate destination for buying and selling the most coveted designer handbags, is digitally native brand reimagining the role of luxury in the secondary market. Rebag has opened a world of endless access to luxury, with a unique business model that puts the seller first, offers upfront payment, and makes the resale experience smooth and clutter-free.
Since its inception, Rebag has catered to a rapidly growing segment of consumers who are exploring ownership of luxury goods in a sustainable and affordable way. The company operates online and in stores, with locations in Los Angeles and New York. Founded in 2014 by a team out of Harvard Business School, Rebag is backed by prestigious venture capital investors including General Catalyst, Novator, Crosslink and FJLabs, and has raised $53m funding to date. Rebag is headquartered in New York City and employs a team of 110.
As the Vice President of Operations, you will have the rare opportunity to join an early stage startup with clear product-market fit scaling at an unprecedented rate. You will own warehousing, logistics, inventory, customer experience, fulfillment, shipping & receiving, returns, and item authentication.
We are seeking a strategic Operator capable of building, refining, and optimizing efficiency, quality, and costs to continuously develop/evolve our services and scale a high-performing, global operations team. The ideal person will have “grown-up” in the trenches of a fast-growing organization and know how to balance process-and-rigor with speed-and-flexibility.
This is truly a career defining opportunity with an excellent team of employees, leaders, and investors. The role reports directly to the CEO.
- Leadership in emerging environments. Work with the executive team to set a clear vision, mission, strategy, and operating plan. Lead and inspire a diverse workforce of analytical / technical resources as well as skilled laborers. Build a strong operational culture that is customer-oriented, highly efficient, and fun. Work closely with marketing and product teams to predict peak periods of demand and adjust staffing levels in anticipation of surges in deliveries.
- Improve internal processes. Optimize the layout of the store warehouses to improve the efficiency of all operations. Find ways to automate to reduce time and labor requirements. Define and document Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to minimize confusion and improve quality. Develop dashboards to monitor and report critical KPIs to identify trends, challenges, and opportunities. Promote a culture of continuous improvement.
- Improve warehouse systems. Define and implement systems that allow the organization to accurately assess, track, and forecast inventory levels. Identify opportunities to automate and improve warehouse operations including RFID tracking, barcode systems, wearables, etc. Work with internal IT teams to iterate on their custom software to automate processes and reports.
- Improve item authentication process. Work with technology team to create, optimize, and install an authentication system to effectively and efficiently identify counterfeit goods. Manage the resources responsible for this process while looking for innovative solutions to automate significant portions of this process with the goal of complete and remote counterfeit identification.
- Globalization. Work to expand and optimize Rebag’s global reach. Negotiate shipping rates with suppliers. Interpret international trade rules to understand best approach as it relates to tax, delivery times, costs, and customs challenges.
- Retail Operations. collaborate with VP Retail to create world-class operations at the all the Rebag store locations, that ensures delightful customer experiences while managing efficiencies. Manage the warehousing aspect of all stores, fulfillment and Rebag sourcing execution in stores.
- Strategy/Scale. Anticipate trends in the market and A/B test to ensure that business operations are always on the cutting edge, incorporating new systems and processes to drive growth while ensuring they will not break at scale. Analyze customer and employee feedback, loss rates, etc. to constantly refine internal processes and customer experience and stay ahead of issues.
- Building and refining operations. Set strategic direction for the operations function and ensure execution to improve customer experience while driving down costs. Develop processes, systems, and teams that allow Rebag to deliver-to and service customers across warehousing, supply chain and fulfillment, logistics, and returns.
- Budget and finances. Own the full operations P&L including headcount, fulfillment, and transportation spend. Analyze operational and financial information, and provide actionable KPIs via real-time dashboards. Assist with inventory control oversight ensuring that proper accounting processes are in place from an operations perspective. Assist with established operational processes to ensure financial integrity is delivered and maintained.
- Professional support. Develop and lead the customer service organization ensuring professional, accurate, timely, and courteous support for all Rebag customers.
- Track and resolve issues. Monitor trends in ticket volume, matching it against supply of resolving agents. Create models that measure and forecast potential issues before they escalate, and work across the organization to resolve these issues.
- Track feedback. Implement contact logging and reporting processes that leverages both Customer and Employee feedback to drive continuous improvement in customer experience and operational efficiency.
- Tech solutions. Ensure best in class technology solutions to support operations department needs including: workforce management, information logging / documentation, surveying, and profile management.
- Knowledge Base. Develop, leverage and maintain internal and external knowledge base content.
The ideal candidate will have a strong foundation running the logistics arm of a direct-to-consumer ecommerce operation, including a deep understanding of fulfillment, shipping, and warehouse optimization as well as familiarity with key vendors and software solutions in the space. This person should be a creative problem-solver, energized by identifying efficiencies and minimizing hiccups behind the scenes.
- 10+ years of operations leadership experience with significant exposure to direct-to-consumer, ecommerce, wholesale, or consumer package goods industry; global experience is highly desired.
- Experience working in high-growth startup environments is highly preferred.
- Well-versed in all aspects of operations, including fulfillment, inventory planning, transportation, and working with suppliers.
- Knowledge of Six Sigma or LEAN process improvement methodologies.
- Proven ability to manage and plan labor requirements and initiatives in a multi-shift, seasonal workforce.
- Experience working with Warehouse Management Systems (WMS) desired.
- Comfort with business intelligence reporting platforms (e.g. ERP, OMS, WMS, MS Excel) to analyze production, labor & financial data.
- Strong communication, problem solving, project management, and crisis management skills.
- Excited to work in a collaborative, fast-paced, high-energy, and team-oriented environment.
- Has interest and ability to foster strong internal cross-functional and external business relationships.
- Personality profile to fit into a high-growth, entrepreneurial culture that requires teamwork and significant interaction with employees at all levels.
- Experience developing dashboards and key metrics to track the business and inform strategy.
- Experience recruiting and leading high-performance teams.
- EDUCATION: Undergraduate degree expected; MBA or other advanced degree preferred.
- Mission driven. You believe in Rebag’s mission and attack everything through the mindset of achieving it.
- Leadership. As a key executive within the company, you will have responsibility to recruit and retain an extraordinary team and contribute to the overall culture of the company.
- Motivator. You are both self-motivated and great at motivating of others. You don’t wait to be told what to do, and if you see something that needs to be done you act.
- High integrity. You know right from wrong and are fully invested in doing the right thing at all times. You keep your word, follow through, and do what you say you will do. You don’t cut corners ethically, and always do what is right as opposed to what is simply convenient.
- Team Player. Collaborative, hardworking, problem-solver who leads by example. You could never ask anyone to do something you are not willing to do yourself.
- Empathetic. You can feel the heartbeat of the organization. Others trust and share with you.
- Entrepreneurial. You think outside the box; you can do more with less; you are resourceful and fiscally responsible in the pursuit of business objectives.
- Flexible. You adapt as situations change, and are comfortable with ambiguity and constant change.
- Curious. You have a deep willingness to learn and realize that no one knows everything. You are comfortable with this and willing to put the work in to acquire new skills as needed.
- Big-Picture Thinking. You are always exploring and evaluating new ideas and processes that can make the organization better.