At ReadySet, we’re building a distributed SQL cache that precomputes the results of prepared statements (i.e. parameterized SQL queries) and incrementally updates these results over time as the underlying data in your database changes.
ReadySet is wire-compatible with MySQL and Postgres, so it can be integrated with your existing application without code or database changes– ReadySet makes it easy for developers to build performant web, analytical, and internal applications regardless of whether they’re deployed to a single region or around the world.
We’re looking for people who are excited about exploring and productionizing the frontier of distributed systems and DB research to join our international, fully-remote team. You’d be a great fit at ReadySet if you're excited to build data infrastructure that makes modern read-heavy applications faster, simpler, and easier to deploy.
About this role
We’re looking for an experienced full-stack software engineer excited to build the ReadySet Cloud Service (UI and backend) from the ground up. The ReadySet Cloud Service will manage the lifecycle of ReadySet caches (akin to Redis or MemCached caches). ReadySet caches integrate with the customer’s applications and backend databases. The cloud service is also responsible for managing interactions between the ReadySet cache and the customer’s resources. As a part of a small and growing team, you’ll also work cross-functionally to help scope out product requirements and work closely with our product designers. You will also work with customers responding to their needs and building solutions demonstrating ReadySet’s ability to integrate with third-party applications and developers.
As a part of our engineering team, you’ll collaborate with other team members to contribute to process improvements, give product and architectural feedback, and work towards making ReadySet more robust and feature-complete.
- Collaborate remotely on a cross-functional team across Engineering, Product, and Design.
- Participate in the initial decision on the architectural structure of ReadySet’s Cloud service.
- Build and maintain elegant solutions to complex UI challenges.
- Build and maintain backend code for major cloud platforms.
- Ensure your code is thoroughly tested and benchmarked.
- Perform detailed code reviews on teammates' features and generally help ensure code is kept up to the team’s technical standards.
- Contribute to the team’s feature and tech debt roadmap, and actively participate in planning meetings and retrospectives.
- Write up documentation for features you develop.
- Enable your teammates with mentorship, pairing, and collaboration.
You may be a good fit if you have...
- 7+ years of experience working as a software engineer.
- 5+ years of experience building and deploying scalable web applications on the cloud.
- Knowledge of web application building blocks on AWS is highly desirable, and on GCP and Azure is a plus.
- 3+ years of experience with Python, Golang, or Java for backend development
- Familiarity with building services on Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with tools like terraform, Prometheus, and Grafana.
- Familiarity with cost tracking in AWS.
- Familiarity with automation and DevOps processes for releasing web applications.
- Previous technical experience in the database (RDS, Aurora, BQ, etc.) or caching industry (Redis, Memcached) is a plus.
- Experience or interest in working in an early-stage startup environment.
- A degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent work experience.
Benefits and Salary
We have raised over $28m from great VC funds and angels to fuel our growth and help us take our product from an ambitious research prototype to general availability. The salary range for this role is $165,000 - 200,000 USD per year. This salary range may include multiple levels and locations. Your level is based on our assessment of your interview performance and experience, which you can always ask the hiring manager about to understand in more detail.
Salary is just one component of ReadySet’s total compensation package for employees. Your total rewards package will include equity, top-notch medical, dental and vision coverage, unlimited PTO (with minimum vacation recommendations), and more.
PTO & Parental Leave
We offer unlimited PTO with minimum vacation recommendations and encourage our team members to take time off whenever they need it. We also offer 90 days of paid parental leave.
Team off-sites & conferences
A few times a year, the whole company meets to facilitate in-person collaboration and team bonding. In addition, we actively encourage participation at conferences and events.
We make time for our remote team to learn together and have fun together even if we are miles away. We have virtual game hours, and an internal tech talk series.
Continuous Learning and Growth
Having a product rooted in research out of MIT, a commitment to learning is a requisite trait of every team member. We work on cutting-edge problems in distributed systems and are looking for engineers ready to rise to the challenge as we revolutionize the use of SQL in modern web applications. We want to be a company where all employees are excited to continue learning and growing in their area of expertise, no matter which role or team they are a part of.
Though every team member at ReadySet is individually exceptional, many of the problems we are solving have not been solved before. This means engineering at ReadySet is a team sport. We strive to give every engineer ownership over their work while giving them the resources they need to produce high-quality solutions. We welcome feedback on our own ideas and create timelines with the assumption that part of every day will be spent helping others. We also trust that during disagreements, every teammate will prioritize finding the best possible solution over being right. We encourage collaboration and humility over ego.
Safety to Fail
As a growth stage company tackling huge engineering challenges, sometimes we fail. When this happens, we don’t place blame or keep score and are willing to acknowledge when we could have done better. Most importantly, we are committed to learning and improving as much as possible from every failure so we have a higher chance of succeeding the next time.
Diversity and Inclusion
ReadySet knows that a diverse workforce directly contributes to a higher quality product for our customers. We have put immense effort into fostering an inclusive, diverse work environment from the time of the company’s founding. We expect everyone to bring empathy and respect to all of their interactions with coworkers and customers. Encouraging everyone to bring their unique perspectives to the table when solving problems helps us build and deliver stronger products.