We’re looking for a driven Senior Backend Engineer to join us at Rasa. The position offers the opportunity to have a huge impact at an early stage startup.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Software Development at Rasa is not only about writing Code. You'll have to come up with good architectural designs, quality code, and break an ambitious long-term vision down into milestones and issues.
We don’t draw a hard line between our engineering and research teams, we all work on the same stack and share work, knowledge, and tools. A lot of the code we create is open source and used by a large community of developers. The driver for our development efforts is this: what would help developers build great conversational software? What can we enable them to build that they couldn't do currently?
We do fundamental machine learning research, and we ship commercial quality software that puts it to use. We mostly work in Python, but dip into other languages when it makes sense to. Because engineering is so close to research, you’ll quickly learn a lot about Machine Learning, Model Management, Data Analysis workflows, and what it takes to ship machine learning applications into production.
We are looking for a software engineer who combines technical, communication, and analytical capabilities and who will have the opportunity to design and develop creative, compelling, and cutting-edge systems that support our mission. Please keep in mind that we are describing the background we imagine would best fit the role. Even if you don’t meet all the requirements, yet you are confident that you are up for the task, we absolutely want to get to know you!
- You take pride in teaching and learning from teammates, and enjoy constructive peer review in a respectful environment
- You're comfortable being lean and fix problems without waiting for someone to tell you to
- You can effectively communicate what you’re working on with other business functions
- You're able to deliver work given yet unclear requirements
- You can work with various stakeholders to set priorities; you're able to handle competing priorities
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems
- Experience building scalable and highly reliable software systems
- Experience teaching & communicating technical material
- Advanced knowledge in Python or another backend programming language
- Ability to think ahead and anticipate technological challenges
THINGS YOU WILL DO
We’re a startup, so you’ll have to be comfortable rolling up your sleeves and doing whatever is required to support our mission. However, you can definitely expect to:
- Work on our open source projects alongside our large contributor base and community
- Architect, code & test backend services to support machine learning training, prediction and annotation
- Improve the scalability & performance of backend services for our enterprise customers which are handling high loads
- Mentor junior developers and help them develop great software engineering skills
- Lead discussions in your squads on various topics including engineering best practices, process improvement, project planning
- Request code reviews from your peers to get feedback on your work and participate in code reviews for your teammates' work
- Work with driven people across all areas of the company—from marketing and business development to machine learning research and UX design—to create the tools to let all makers build AI assistants that everyone can use
- Navigate our tech stack: TypeScript, React, Python3, Redis, RabbitMQ, Postgres, GitHub Actions, Kubernetes, GCP among other technologies and frameworks
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US
- Flexible hours and a dedicated remote budget
- 1000 Euros personal development fund & 6 paid education days to help you grow within your role
- 26 days paid holiday per year
- A new Macbook, and other tech to help you to do your job
- We have regular remote team events, as well as regular remote social events
- 2 team offsites every year, our last one was 3 days in beautiful Brandenburg.
Rasa supplies the standard infrastructure for conversational AI, providing the tools required to build better, more resilient contextual assistants. With more than 10 million downloads since launch, Rasa Open Source is loved by developers worldwide, with a friendly, fast-growing community learning from each other and working together to make better text- and voice-based AI assistants.
Rasa offers three key products in its suite of conversational AI offering. Rasa Open Source is the most popular open source software in conversational AI. Rasa X, released in 2019, is a free toolset that helps developers quickly improve and share an AI assistant built with Rasa Open Source. Rasa Enterprise is the company's commercial offering, providing an enterprise-grade platform for developing contextual assistants at scale. Rasa runs in production everywhere from startups to Fortune 500s, and provides the data privacy and security needed to enterprises of every size.
Rasa is privately held, with funding from Accel, Andreessen Horowitz, Basis Set Ventures, and others. The company was founded in 2016 and has offices in Berlin, Germany and Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
Rasa is an equal opportunity employer. We are still a small team and are committed to growing in an inclusive manner. We want to augment our team with talented, compassionate people irrespective of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age.