We are looking for current students (Masters or PhD) who want to spend 3 months working on a research project at Rasa. Our focus areas are natural language understanding, dialogue systems, and integrating NLP with knowledge bases. Internships are onsite with our research team in Berlin
ABOUT THIS ROLE
- You will be part of Rasa’s research team and own a project where you make an original contribution. Some previous intern projects:
- Compressing large language models like BERT (link)
- Using character-level models to make NER robust to typos
- The outcome of your project will be made public in some way. For example, by integrating something into our open source code base, writing a paper, or creating a tutorial to help developers make use of an advanced algorithm
- You’ll be supervised by someone who does research full time at Rasa. Before starting, you’ll work with our research team to choose a problem to work on and create a plan for the internship.
- You’ll engage with the Rasa community (on github and our forum) to communicate what you find out and get feedback on solutions you come up with
- You’re interested in applied research in NLP / dialogue.
- You’re excited about working on an open source project used by thousands of developers
- You have some experience doing research, for example a bigger project at university or a previous research-oriented internship
- You want to experience working in a fast-growing startup
Please keep in mind that we are describing the background we imagine would best fit the role. Even if you don’t meet all the requirements, yet you are confident that you are up for the task, we absolutely want to get to know you!
THINGS YOU WILL DO
We’re a startup, so you’ll have to be comfortable rolling up your sleeves and doing whatever is required to support our mission. However, you can definitely expect to:
- Take responsibility for a project delivering an original contribution with practical application
- Contribute to our codebase, including the rasa open source framework
- Learn about working on a large production codebase, giving and receiving code reviews
- Work with a mentor and improve your research and communication skills through continuous feedback
- Actively seek out ways to become a better researcher. Self-improvement is important at Rasa.
- Communicate effectively with other teams at Rasa about what you need from them and what they can expect from you.
- Communicate the results of your project with the outside world (e.g. by writing a blog post or speaking at a meetup)
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US
- This is a paid internship
- An environment where you’re challenged, learn fast and get lots of feedback
- An interesting, relevant problem to work on
- Your choice of snacks, fresh fruits + drinks at the office
- Regular team events
At Rasa, we're building the standard infrastructure for conversational AI. With over half a million downloads since launch, our open source tools are loved by developers worldwide, and Rasa runs in production everywhere from startups to Fortune 500s. Our friendly community is growing fast, with developers from all over the world learning from each other and working together to make text- and voice-based AI assistants better.
Rasa's machine learning-based dialogue tools allow developers to automate contextual conversations. What are contextual conversations? Real back-and-forth dialogue that is handled seamlessly. Taking AI assistants beyond fixed question / answer pairs creates exciting new use cases for people and businesses. The tip of the iceberg includes automation of sales & marketing, internal processes, and advanced customer service that integrates into existing backend systems. With Rasa, companies control their own destiny, investing in AI that they own and ship instead of relying on third parties.
Rasa has raised $14 million in total funding from Accel, Basis Set Ventures and open source founders such as Ross Mason (MuleSoft), Mitchell Hashimoto (Hashicorp) and Florian Leibert (Mesosphere). The company is headquartered in San Francisco, CA, with R&D offices in Berlin, Germany and was founded in 2016.
Rasa is an equal opportunity employer. We are still a small team and are committed to growing in an inclusive manner. We want to augment our team with talented, compassionate people irrespective of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age.