Rapha does more than create the world’s best cycling products. We inspire people to ride.
We look for people who can rise to the occasion time and time again, people who think for themselves, people who inspire others and love the sport of cycling.
We thrive on challenges and reward imagination. Our team is made of go-getters, trailblazers and deep thinkers. Together, we have created an exceptional reputation for design excellence.
Our Brand Design Director is the visual communications expert responsible for crafting impactful messaging and executing the creative vision to support the brand experience. Using channels ranging from physical locations to social, the Brand Design Director’s work will inspire people to connect with Rapha’s content, commerce and communities.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead and inspire teams across multiple disciplines.
- Provide vision, strategic and tactical direction, and maintain design continuity.
- Ensure project goals and priorities align with business strategies.
- Address staffing needs and challenges to ensure project demands are met, and that the team has an appropriate skill mix.
- Work independently and within team projects.
- Be a communication design specialist.
- Coach individuals and make opportunities for their progression.
- Manage performance, and recognise and reward outstanding work.
- Foster innovative thinking, relationships, and teamwork.
- Collaborate with peers and design counterparts to ensure continuity across all areas
- Lead weekly creative reviews.
- Be the guardian of Rapha’s visual standards.
- Update and maintain brand guidelines.
- Communicate and present design concepts to all levels of management. Effectively elevating strategic concerns to senior management in a timely and accurate manner is vital.
Reporting to the Creative Director, the Brand Design Director balances a keen sense of quality and style with cycling legitimacy to create the look and feel of the brand experience across all consumer touch points. This is the place to push boundaries and explore your potential to create best-in-class work.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and qualities:
- Be able to work well within a matrix organisation.
- Posses the strong ability to present creative concept to senior team members.
- Have the vision to direct the overall look and feel of publications, advertising campaigns and films.
- With a keen eye for detail, review and approve design, artwork, photography, and graphics developed in-house..
- Have strong management and personal development skills
- Know how to oversee detailed budgets and timelines.
- Produce design and campaign toolkits for global roll-out.
- A recognised graphic design qualification with a minimum of 10 years brand design experience representing communication and design.
- Strong oral and written communications, including presentations and meeting facilitation.
- Be able to effectively communicate complex and/or controversial topics and concepts to senior creative team.
- Possess a strong ability to develop influential and collaborative relationships across teams, functions, and geographies.
- Have sound judgment and ability to contribute meaningfully to the determination of strategy.
- The ability to motivate others, deal with ambiguity, and collaborate effectively in decision-making
- An advanced knowledge of Adobe CC and related software and systems.
- A broad knowledge of design practice.
- A Minimum of 5 years in a management role.
- Advertising/branding agency experience with working with consumer brands with retail environments, digitally, native, and customer programs.
- Must be a cyclist who understands our brand and marketplace.