Senior DevOps Engineer
Rakuten is a global Internet and e-commerce company with over 80 million registered users worldwide. Our e-commerce platform is the largest of its kind in Japan and among the world's largest by sales. Rakuten has many subsidiaries too, including well-known brands like Ebates, ShopStyle, Curbside, Rakuten TV, Kobo (e-Reading) and Viber (messaging).
Maintain, develop, support and improve cloud infrastructure for highly-available and scalable production operations at Rakuten. Work with team members and other teams to troubleshoot problems and find solutions.
- Maintain, develop, and operate a high-availability and high-rate production environment.
- Assist with launching new and upgrading existing applications.
- Upgrades system software, applies patches, and ensures security of systems.
- Mentor, advise, and train other team members.
- Use monitoring tools to identify operational anomalies and take action to resolve them.
- Follow, create, and edit documentation for routing system tasks
- Demonstrate ability to be a flexible, organized, thoughtful, and proactive team player who can work with minimal guidance as well as strong abilities in communication.
- Explore new technologies and solutions to enhance operational excellence and cost efficiencies
2+ years overall experience with the following skillsets:
- Server Administration with Linux (Ubuntu, RedHat/Centos)
- Scripting (Bash, Python)
- Cloud Experience (Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Service, OpenStack)
- Docker with orchestration experience (e.g. Kubernetes)
- Automation (such as CI/CD experience withJenkins, CircleCI)
- Monitoring (Prometheus preferred)
- Configuration and Change Management (such as ansible and chef)
- Networking concepts (TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP)
- Must be comfortable working in a team environment supporting technologies critical to production infrastructure
- Must be able to work on multiple inflight projects
- Must have an aptitude and a desire for proactive support of research and innovation. A thoughtful, collaborative approach with end users, staff colleagues, and other IT professionals is essential.
- Must possess excellent communication and organizational skills as well the ability to work under minimal supervision in a flexible, team-oriented environment.
- Perform on call responsibilities as part of a rotation
- Experience with highly-available clustered server environments a plus.
- Experience with technical writing and writing end procedure or instructional documentation.
- Ability to provide technical support, solve problems, and perform system maintenance in support of high-availability production operations.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Experience with performance engineering and troubleshooting a plus.
- Experience with no-sql databases (e.g. Mongo, Couchbase)
- Experience with relation databases (e.g. MySQL, Postgres)
- Experience with HashiCorp Products (e.g. Terraform, Vault, Packer)