Rakuten is seeking an experienced, talented, and flexible counsel to advise the company on a range of privacy, data protection, information security and compliance initiatives. This is a full-time position located in our San Mateo, California headquarters reporting into the company’s Head of Legal. The role is broad and, among other things, involves advising clients and stakeholders on various legal risks and obligations under global privacy laws and driving high-profile cross-functional initiatives across the business involving a variety of complex legal and/or regulatory issues. This requires the ability to work independently and with large multi-stakeholder teams. We are looking for someone with sharp analytical and communication skills, who is diligent, proactive, collaborative, and has demonstrated excellent legal and business judgment and strategic thinking.
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise in areas of data use and protection laws and advising on the impact of the same on Rakuten’s global business and strategic planning
- Assist product owners in evaluating the impact of privacy laws, regulatory guidance and enforcement actions, and other related guidelines on product features
- Evaluate the impact of legislative, regulatory, legal developments and industry proposals involving privacy and security across Rakuten's services and group companies
- Drive high-profile and high-impact projects involving privacy analysis and compliance with stakeholders across the business
- Participate in the development and management of Rakuten’s (and the Rakuten group companies’) privacy terms and policies
- Support security and privacy incident response
- Manage and participate in internal privacy compliance programs and processes to ensure Rakuten meets its obligations under those programs
- 10+ years of legal experience, including at a law firm and/or prior in-house experience with internet or technology companies (litigation, regulatory, product counseling or operational privacy experience will be considered)
- Working knowledge and understanding of global privacy laws, including the GDPR, CCPA, and PIPEDA
- D. degree and admitted, active, and in good standing with the California bar
- CIPP/US and CIPP/E, or ability and willingness to achieve both within six months
- Experience prioritizing work and providing advice under deadlines
- Business judgment and client counseling experience
- Experience advancing projects in a multi-stakeholder environment as a manager and individual contributor
- Experience with global privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines, especially those relevant for e-commerce, ad tech, fin tech, and internet companies
- Demonstrated expertise in privacy and data issues arising in one or more privacy areas, such as advertising, B2C products, data analytics and artificial intelligence, or privacy program implementation/management
- Experience working with a multitude of internal businesses and stakeholders
Rakuten is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.