Radiant Industries is an El Segundo, CA-based startup developing Kaleidos, a portable, containerized nuclear microreactor. Portable nuclear power with rapid deploy capability can replace diesel generators used today to provide critical asset support for hospitals, datacenters, and military bases or to power microgrids at remote sites. Radiant’s unique, practical approach to nuclear development utilizes modern software engineering to rapidly achieve safe, factory-constructable microreactors leveraging existing, well-qualified materials. Radiant is on a fast track to demonstrate the first fueled operation of a new commercial nuclear reactor design, just three years from now.
Head of Regulatory Affairs
Radiant is seeking a highly engaging and effective leader for our regulatory and licensing team. The Head of Regulatory Affairs will oversee licensing engagement, strategy, process, and execution with the Department of Energy (DOE) and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). You will play a pivotal role in driving Kaleidos’ development timeline, successful demonstration, and future commercialization. The ideal candidate is experienced working with government agencies and officials in risk-informed regulations, is determined to execute on how things should be done vs. how they’ve always been done, and can engage deeply with our engineering organization to produce a foundationally safe product rather than one that simply checks regulatory boxes. The ideal candidate will foster a healthy team culture, provide support and clarity where needed, and come in with a player-coach mindset. We are looking for someone who is excited to put the first microreactor on the market and provide clean, reliable energy to remote areas around the world.
This role reports to our Chief Operating Officer and is based in El Segundo, California.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide licensing and regulatory leadership and strategic guidance to a high performing team.
- Craft a modern regulatory strategy based in sound engineering principles with input from executives, our board of directors, and industry experts that brings the safest product to market the fastest.
- Own end to end licensing execution efforts establishing strict principle-based standards while promoting streamlined, modern approaches to regulatory interactions.
- Facilitate collaborative and cohesive partnerships with internal stakeholders and external regulatory and governing bodies (NRC, DOE) to drive desirable results. Includes attending in person visits, online meetings, and industry-related social events.
- Ensure the completeness, timeliness and quality of licensing and regulatory submissions.
- Integrate our regulatory process with technical teams to meet quality assurance and regulatory standards.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree at an accredited institution in engineering discipline.
- 8+ years of industry experience working on nuclear regulatory and licensing efforts.
- 2+ years leading a team.
- Ability to travel and attend in-person meetings.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Direct experience with the DOE and/or NRC.
- Experience in 10 CFR 50.
- Demonstrated ability work with a technical team to take complex information and simplify it for non-technical audiences.
- Intrinsic motivation to forge through decades of regulatory precedence with a creative approach.
- Strategic aptitude to bring together various complicated threads into a simple throughline.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills, as well as building relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to create coalitions and partnerships with other leaders in nuclear industry.
Employee Benefits for Eligible Employees:
- Stock: Substantial incentive stock plan for all full time, salaried employees
- Medical: 100% up to base silver level plan for employee + 50% dependents, offers up to Platinum plans.
- Vision: 100% coverage + 50% for dependents
- Dental: 100% coverage, orthodontia extra, 50% for dependents
- Voluntary Life, Accident, Hospital, Critical Illness, Commuter and FSA are offered as employee contributed benefits.
- Vacation/Sick time
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.