Radiant Industries is an El Segundo, CA-based startup developing Kaleidos, a portable, containerized nuclear microreactor. Portable nuclear power with rapid deploy capability can replace diesel generators used today to provide critical asset support for hospitals, datacenters, and military bases or to power microgrids at remote sites. Radiant’s unique, practical approach to nuclear development utilizes modern software engineering to rapidly achieve safe, factory-constructable microreactors leveraging existing, well-qualified materials. Radiant is on a fast track to demonstrate the first fueled operation of a new commercial nuclear reactor design, just three years from now.
Senior Turbomachinery Engineer
Radiant is seeking a highly motivated senior turbomachinery engineer to develop turbomachinery in support of a simply recuperated, supercritical CO2 (sCO2) Brayton engine. This candidate will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced startup environment to develop power generation hardware to enable portable nuclear micro-reactors. This role consists of developing turbomachinery hardware at the heart of the sCO2 heat engine while considering long term production requirements related to hardware performance, reliability, mass, and cost. The ideal candidate is experienced in building early concept hardware components through production and are excited about our vision to power remote communities with clean, portable and reliable nuclear energy.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Translate heat engine performance requirements and trade conceptual designs for sCO2 machinery on first article and production-grade versions of Kaleidos.
- Work with the responsible engineers of adjacent systems to globally optimize Kaleidos hardware and operations for levelized cost of electricity (LCOE).
- Own and maintain performance modeling of the heat engine.
- Oversee the build and testing of first article heat engine hardware.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- 4+ years industry experience + BS from accredited institution.
- Knowledge of turbomachinery design and build principles.
- Experience translating broad machinery requirements (power, speed, bearing leakage) into a conceptual design, including wheel and shaft design, as well as bearing and alternator selection.
- Demonstrated experience in owning end-to-end hardware development cycle, from concept, part design, manufacturing, through build and testing.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience with the supercritical CO2 Brayton cycle.
- Experience optimizing power generation cycles via industry or custom software.
- Familiarity with AC power generation and power electronics.
Employee Benefits for Eligible Employees:
- Stock: Substantial incentive stock plan for all full time, salaried employees.
- Medical: 100% up to base silver level plan for employee + 50% dependents, offers up to Platinum plans.
- One Medical: Sponsored memberships for employees and their dependents.
- Vision: 100% top tier plan coverage + 50% for dependents.
- Dental: 100% top tier plan coverage, orthodontia extra, 50% for dependents.
- Voluntary Life, Accident, Hospital, Critical Illness, Commuter and FSA are offered as employee contributed benefits.
- Free snacks and drinks onsite.
- Vacation/Sick time.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.This position involves access to technology that is subject to U.S. export controls. Any job offer made will be contingent upon the applicant’s capacity to serve in compliance with U.S. export controls.