Radiant Industries is an El Segundo, CA-based startup developing Kaleidos, a portable, containerized nuclear microreactor. Portable nuclear power with rapid deploy capability can replace diesel generators used today to provide critical asset support for hospitals, datacenters, and military bases or to power microgrids at remote sites. Radiant’s unique, practical approach to nuclear development utilizes modern software engineering to rapidly achieve safe, factory-constructable microreactors leveraging existing, well-qualified materials. Radiant is on a fast track to demonstrate the first fueled operation of a new commercial nuclear reactor design, just three years from now.
Senior Controls Engineer
Radiant is seeking a talented controls engineer to own designs from requirements capture through operation. The candidate will own algorithm development, simulation, implementation, and validation of a nuclear microreactor control system, including: reactivity controls, primary loop mass flow control, and alternator speed control as well as multiple reactors on microgrid. The ideal candidate should be comfortable working with regulatory requirements, developing analysis for system level coupled controls, and performing hardware tests and data review for validation. This role requires collaboration with multi-disciplinary teams responsible for construction of the systems and components involved in the control loops.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Responsible Engineer with total ownership over the Kaleidos control systems including requirements definition and project management.
- Responsible for subsystem controls (reactivity control surfaces, alternator shaft speed, electrical power conversion, etc.) as well as multiple reactors at a single installation.
- Develops algorithms, software, and analytic models for control systems to derive requirements for components and subsystems. Performs prototyping, testing, and validation and verification of implemented control systems.
- Documents and supports regulatory review of control systems.
- Develop methods to analyze and test control system performance.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- 8+ years experience designing control systems involving coupled controls for timing critical architectures.
- Expertise with monte-carlo techniques for analysis, uncertainty quantification, system identification, and phase margin estimation.
- Familiarity with field bus networking protocols such as EtherNet/IP, EtherCAT, CANOpen, Ethernet, RS-422/485.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in physics or an engineering discipline.
- Experience with C++ and Python, familiarity with C#.
Desired Qualifications & Skills
- 10+ years experience in control systems.
- Direct experience with controls and modeling of exponential systems.
- Experience working with motors, alternators, and power conversion equipment.
- Experience with autonomous systems and fault detection, isolation, and recovery design.
- Stock: Substantial incentive stock plan for all full time, salaried employees
- Medical: 100% up to base silver level plan for employee + 50% dependents, offers up to Platinum plans.
- Vision: 100% coverage + 50% for dependents
- Dental: 100% coverage, orthodontia extra, 50% for dependents
- Voluntary Life, Accident, Hospital, Critical Illness, Commuter and FSA are offered as employee contributed benefits.
- Vacation/Sick time
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.