Radiant Industries is an El Segundo, CA-based startup developing Kaleidos, a portable, containerized nuclear microreactor. Portable nuclear power with rapid deploy capability can replace diesel generators used today to provide critical asset support for hospitals, datacenters, and military bases or to power microgrids at remote sites. Radiant’s unique, practical approach to nuclear development utilizes modern software engineering to rapidly achieve safe, factory-constructable microreactors leveraging existing, well-qualified materials. Radiant is on a fast track to demonstrate the first fueled operation of a new commercial nuclear reactor design, just three years from now.
Senior Electrical Engineer
Radiant is seeking a talented senior electrical engineer to own designs from requirements capture through operation. The candidate will be directly responsible for components of the nuclear microreactor control and measurement systems. The ideal candidate should be comfortable jumping from designing circuit boards to integration work interfacing with fault-tolerant, off-the-shelf hardware. This role requires collaboration with multi-disciplinary teams designing the nuclear reactor core, fluid heat transfer systems, and structures.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work with multi-disciplinary team to support the architectural design, implementation, and testing of a 1 MW nuclear microreactor electrical control system.
- Develop electrical schematics, PCBs, harnessing, tests, and integration hardware for fault-tolerant and safety-critical control.
- Responsible engineer for electrical instrumentation and subsystems, examples:
- Systems: Reactivity Control, Reactor Protection, Power measurement, Primary Loop, Secondary Loop, Turbomachinery, Battery.
- Sensors: Neutron and gamma flux, shaft speed, pressure, temperature, displacement, acceleration, and flow sensors.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or related field.
- 5+ years experience designing electrical hardware.
- Experience designing fault-tolerant and safety critical hardware.
- Experience with sensor and actuator interface design such as 4-20mA, Thermocouple, solenoids, etc.
- Experience utilizing one of: Ethernet, CANbus, RS-422, or other communications protocol.
Desired Qualifications & Skills:
- Experience in electrical architecture make vs. buy trades.
- Proficiency with electrical cabinet, box, or circuit board design software tools (Altium Designer, SolidWorks Electrical, E3.Panel etc).
- Experience designing wiring harnesses.
- Experience working with or designing Variable Frequency Drives and inverters.
- Familiarity with Python and C/C++.
Employee Benefits for Eligible Employees:
- Stock: Substantial incentive stock plan for all full time, salaried employees
- Medical: 100% up to base silver level plan for employee + 50% dependents, offers up to Platinum plans.
- Vision: 100% coverage + 50% for dependents
- Dental: 100% coverage, orthodontia extra, 50% for dependents
- Voluntary Life, Accident, Hospital, Critical Illness, Commuter and FSA are offered as employee contributed benefits.
- Vacation/Sick time
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.