Radar is connecting digital experiences to the physical world with a location platform for every app, every device, and every developer. Radar processes 100B+ locations per year from 100M+ devices worldwide.
Our team has backgrounds at companies like Google Maps, Foursquare and Facebook. We are backed by Accel, Two Sigma Ventures, Expa, Fuel Capital, and great angels including Greg Brockman (previously CTO at Stripe) and Michael Katz (CEO at mParticle).
We are currently 30 employees based out of New York City and San Francisco.
About the role
Radar is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to scale the current and next generation of our serving, data and processing infrastructure.
We're already installed on 50M+ devices, processing 100B+ locations per year, and growing rapidly. We need to ingest massive amounts of location data and help our customers analyze and act on that data at scale. You'll face interesting architecture and scaling challenges from day one.
Our customer use cases include geofencing, local search, geocoding, autocomplete, curbside pickup and more. You’ll play a pivotal role in building a SaaS platform that scales to 100M+ devices, 100K+ qps, and terabytes of location data per day.
You will report to our Director of Engineering. This role is NYC based or remote.
What you’ll do:
- Design and implement solutions to scale Radar’s capacity for high burst & periodic traffic, a well as future planning for 10x increased steady state traffic
- Scale online/offline aggregation systems for terabytes of customer data using systems like Spark and Redshift, as well as deploying new technologies as needed
- Build out scalable, maintainable, understandable privacy-first systems for heterogeneous customer & compliance needs
- Improve deployment, monitoring and reproducible builds across our infrastructure, with a focus on our newer geo focused backends
- Evaluate new platforms for our long term architecture like BigQuery, Snowflake, Kubernetes, Nomad, and whatever other technologies you get excited about
- Help build API’s and data infrastructure leveraging caching, indexing, sharding, search, data warehousing, and analytics
- Write code in Typescript, Scala (spark), Bash, and Python
- Use MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch, Kinesis, S3, Redshift, Athena, EMR, and more
- 5+ years of backend engineering experience
- Expertise in several of: distributed systems, caching, indexing, sharding, search, dev-ops, and data warehousing
- Experience scaling APIs (bonus if you've built or worked on an API handling 10K+ qps)
- Experience scaling databases and/or data warehouses
You’ll be working with:
- Tim Julien, CTO
- David Blackman, Director of Engineering
- Jeff Kao, Staff Engineer
- Alvin Au, Senior Data Scientist
- Ping Xia, Staff Product Engineer
- Remote-first until at least July 2021
- Great compensation package and equity plan
- Medical, dental, and vision plans with 100% premiums covered for you
- Weekly catered lunch and snacks
- 401(k) plan with employer plan
- Flexible work hours and vacation policy
- Free CitiBike membership
- Monthly fitness reimbursement
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.