Radar is connecting digital experiences to the physical world with a location platform for every app, every device, and every developer. Radar processes 100B+ locations per year from 100M+ devices worldwide.
Our team has backgrounds at companies like Google Maps, Foursquare and Facebook. We are backed by Accel, Two Sigma Ventures, Expa, Fuel Capital, and great angels including Greg Brockman (previously CTO at Stripe) and Michael Katz (CEO at mParticle).
We are currently 30 employees based out of New York City and San Francisco.
About the role
Radar is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to grow, evaluate and build our Geo APIs and data infrastructure.
We're already installed on 50M+ devices, processing 100B+ locations per year, and growing rapidly. We need to ingest massive amounts of location data and help our customers analyze and act on that data at scale. You'll face interesting architecture and scaling challenges from day one.
Our current API surface area includes geofencing, local search, geocoding, autocomplete, curbside pickup and more. You’ll play a pivotal role in building a SaaS platform that scales to 100M+ devices, 100K+ qps, and terabytes of location data per day.
You will report to our Director of Engineering. This role is NYC based or remote.
What you’ll do:
- Work with open and proprietary Geo data to build APIs with outstanding data coverage, search ranking, and latency
- Build out new tools, workflows and dashboards for continuous evaluation and enrichment of place data
- Contribute to existing open source projects like Pelias and Valhalla as well as radar-backed projects like api-diff and Node S2
- Design our next generation search architecture for easy, unified, faceted search across internal and customer geographic data
- Help push the latency limits of what is possible for low-latency endpoints like geo autocomplete (< 100ms), search, and other APIs
- Write code in Typescript (along with the occasional shell script)
- Use MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch, Kinesis, S3, Elastic Beanstalk, Redshift, Athena, Airflow, and more
- 5+ years of backend engineering experience
- Experience with cloud based infrastructure like Azure, AWS, GCP or self-hosted Docker/Kubernetes
- Experience with geospatial data & tooling (openstreetmap, s2, geospatial indexes, etc), a plus
- Experience with search engines, search relevance, NLP, data ingestion pipelines all, a plus
You’ll be working with:
- Tim Julien, CTO
- David Blackman, Director of Engineering
- Jeff Kao, Staff Engineer
- Alvin Au, Senior Data Scientist
- Ping Xia, Staff Product Engineer
- Remote-first until at least July 2021
- Great compensation package and equity plan
- Medical, dental, and vision plans with 100% premiums covered for you
- Weekly catered lunch and snacks
- 401(k) plan with employer plan
- Flexible work hours and vacation policy
- Free CitiBike membership
- Monthly fitness reimbursement
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.