Vice President, Business Development
Consistently named one of the top D.C. start-ups to watch since 2016, Quorum builds software that helps public affairs professionals work smarter and move faster. Our philosophy is people-first, whether we're supporting team members in their careers or prioritizing our clients with a best-in-class customer success program. Quorum's clients use our tools to bring a modern approach to advocacy work in Congress, all 50 state legislatures, major U.S. cities, the European Union, and more than a dozen countries.
As the Vice President of Business Development, you will serve on Quorum’s Executive Team and be responsible for the company’s outbound prospecting and sales functions. This role includes responsibility for new logo sales activities (e.g., Account Executive onboarding processes) and outcomes (e.g., financial performance) for the United States and European Union. This role does not include responsibility for marketing or renewals sales activities for any geographic locations.
- You take pride in hiring, managing, coaching, and retaining top-notch, diverse sales managers, account executives, and business development representatives
- You have experience overseeing sales teams with more than 40 full-time team members where the average sales representative’s tenure with the organization is less than 2 years
- You have experience leading a sales team that sells a B2B SaaS product with a $10,000 - $100,000 ARR average sales price through a complex sales cycle
- You have experience in sales leadership (VP level or higher) at a company that brings in $20 to $100 million ARR
- You can articulate how you will establish credibility and earn trust with existing sales team members prior to making substantial structural changes on a short timeline
- You might have overseen a Sales Training Program or worked in close collaboration with a Sales Enablement Manager to build and implement Sales Training Programs
- You intentionally cultivate inclusive team environments where you regularly express concern for team members’ success and well-being
- You can provide references that demonstrate that you are adept at change management
- You are able to articulate three (3) to five (5) criteria that you consider when selecting and promoting and/or terminating account executives and business development representatives
- You are an especially strong candidate if you have an interest or aptitude in either the government affairs or public affairs markets
What You'll Do
- First Week: You'll learn the ins and outs of the current Quorum sales process, gain exposure to our products, and get to know 40+ Quorum Business Development team members
- First Month: You will step into the unofficial role of Chief Alignment Officer to design and coordinate sales strategy across multiple sales functions that are being consolidated into a single reporting structure. You will evaluate the talent pipeline and apply a combination of continuous training and performance management programs to help at least 70% of account executives and business development representatives achieve 80% of their individual quotas.
- First Six Months: You will improve standard sales processes and metrics, including account prioritization, lead to opportunity conversion, pricing negotiations, and more. You will attend a wide variety of potential client engagements and work with Business Development management to oversee routine sales activities, including outbound call cadences, call scripts, sales demonstrations, territory management, and sales pipeline reviews.
- First Year: You will be responsible for laying the foundation for a high-performance department—as defined by 70% of representatives meeting at least 80% of quota on a regular basis—that is able to predictably deliver >$5 Million in Annual Recurring Revenue (ARR) from new logo sales. You will act as a model for setting high-level strategic direction and executing with precision.
About the Business Development Team
- We are responsible for ensuring that ideal potential clients choose Quorum as their public affairs software provider
- We conduct phone outreach to potential clients to make them aware of Quorum as a potential solution to their public affairs pain points
- We build relationships with potential clients to serve as a trusted advisor to ensure that our software is genuinely making their team work smarter and move faster to most effectively achieve their organization’s goals
- We provide in-person and online product demonstrations using a consultative sales model
- We are a close-knit team of innovative, hardworking, and optimistic people who value collaboration and productive discourse
- We work hard to deliberately develop our team member’s careers. We are voracious learners and will be your mentors, confidantes, and supporters
- We are dedicated to building and growing a remarkable company. Working at Quorum is unique and fulfilling because each team member’s work directly impacts the company’s success
Our Work Environment
- We usually work in a vibrant, sunlit space in our modern, open concept office. During the COVID-19 health crisis, most of our team members are working from home in locations around the world. Team members will have the option to work from home until at least January 31, 2021. Those that feel safe re-entering the office earlier can apply to be part of a pilot re-entry program. All candidates need to be willing and able to relocate to the Washington DC area in 2021
- Our office building is located in the heart of downtown DC, easily accessible by metro, bus, and rideshares. It is also in close proximity to great restaurants, food trucks, shopping, and popular happy hour spots
- Our team loves to spend time doing fun things outside of the office, which we call Quorum Fun events. Past Quorum Fun events have included apple picking, yoga, and wine tasting
If you'd like to have a big impact at a fast-growing company that is changing the way the advocacy process works, drop us a line. We'd love to talk to you!
- Base Salary: $150,000.00 – $200,000.00 (commensurate with experience)
- Variable Compensation: $75,000.00 –200,000.00 depending upon base, variable will be no more than 50% of base salary
- Maximum Total Package (Excluding Benefits, Relocation, and Equity): $400,000.00
- Expected Package (Excluding Benefits, Relocation, and Equity): $275,000.00 – $375,000.00
- Equity: Stock options are included and will be commensurate with a candidate’s experience and potential impact
- Benefits: 401(k) match, trans-inclusive health benefits, 12-weeks paid maternity/paternity/adoption/fostering leave, unlimited PTO, and more.