[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
The mobile team at Quora builds modern mobile experiences for our millions of users. The team owns and maintains our unique hybrid architecture that enables fast cross-platform product development on our React pages, while also giving us access to all native specific advantages such as improved navigation and push notifications. The team also builds the features and abstractions that allow users to best engage and interact with Quora.
About the Role:
Our mobile engineers use their expertise of the platform to identify and build modern Android/ iOS features which enhance the Quora experience on Android and iOS devices, such as building dark mode or enabling sharing content into the app. They solve platform specific problems, such as performance on Android or privacy compliance on iOS. Given our hybrid architecture, Mobile engineers are not limited in their impact to the platform they are most comfortable with. Mobile engineers also interact with our React frontend. Prior React experience is not a requirement for the role.
- Work within a small team of mobile engineers to build a performant and reliable Android/iOS app
- Build new user-facing features and help drive mobile product strategy
- Create tools and infrastructure to enable rapid iteration cycles on mobile
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's "coordination hours" (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here.
- 1+ years of full-time experience in Android and/or iOS development
- Strong interest in mobile frameworks
- High attention to detail in all aspects of development from performance to UI
- Experience with development on widely used mobile apps on App Store/Play Store
- Experience with cross platform frameworks such as React and React Native
- Love of learning and the Quora product