[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
Our small engineering team works on challenging problems every day. We have a culture that's rooted in constantly learning and improving, and our engineers are encouraged to think big and experiment with new ideas. Using continuous deployment, we quickly see our changes in the product and make fast iterations. Our engineers focus on creating polished products and writing high quality code by designing APIs and abstractions that are extensible and maintainable. As an engineering team, Quora also highly values development velocity, and invests heavily in improvements to tools, abstractions, and frameworks to empower developers to move faster and achieve more with a lean team. Everyone on the engineering team has a huge impact on our product and our company.
About the Role:
The Foundation organization at Quora is a set of engineering teams that are focused on building the foundational engineering systems, tools and abstractions that application teams build on top of. Our team architects, builds and maintains large-scale distributed systems that are responsible for keeping Quora up and running. Our systems support a wide range of use cases including data storage and caching, machine learning training and serving, and data pipelines and analytics. We utilize a combination of open-source systems like MySQL, Memcached, Kafka, Spark, and Kubernetes, in addition to building in-house solutions. We are the stewards of the core measurements of engineering efficiency at the company, such as reliability, speed, costs, and maintenance burden. We support a variety of teams and our clients come from a wide range of areas like Product Engineering, Machine Learning, Data Science, and Design.
At Quora, we believe that fostering a strong engineering culture in inclusive teams is the key to building a great company and product. As an Engineering Manager for the Infrastructure team, you will lead a team of engineers to solve interesting technical challenges in the domain of scalability, performance, and developer efficiency. We use continuous deployment and EC2 so all code that gets checked in goes live to production within minutes, no matter what time it is.
- Lead and grow a team of software engineers who work on our infrastructure/systems teams for the entire Quora service.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of engineers.
- Work together with teams to set goals, plan roadmaps, and drive results across infrastructure responsibilities such as performance, scalability, data infrastructure, reliability, and security.
- Collaborate with other functions such as Data, Design, and Product to shape the team roadmap and ensure successful execution towards our strategy.
- Drive initiatives with the Engineering management team to foster our engineering culture and evolve processes across the entire Engineering organization around code quality, technical mentorship, staffing, recruiting, and retention.
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's "coordination hours" (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Members of our Infrastructure Engineering team are not required to work the full coordination hours, but should anticipate that they will need to be available Mon-Fri from either 11am-2pm PST or noon-3pm PST at minimum. Learn why here
- 4+ years of software engineering experience architecting, building, and scaling high-traffic products.
- 2+ years of people management experience in a technology company
- Passion for Quora's mission and goals
- Proficiency in any/all of the programming languages: Python/Java/Golang/C++
- Deep understanding of Unix/Linux variants, web network protocols, persistence solutions
- Experience working with AWS or other public cloud technologies
- Demonstrated history of exceptional mentorship and coaching skills
- Deep experience in the reliability and performance space
- Experience with various data storage (e.g. MySQL, MyRocks, Memcached, Redis, etc)
- Effective leadership with regards to driving cross-functional initiatives
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Experience working on consumer products
- Experience with capacity planning for large-scale infrastructure and/or distributed systems
- Conference presentations in the domain of performance and reliability
- Knowledge of application and system security
- Familiarity in traffic handling (e.g. DNS, CDN, load balancing, etc) or infrastructure orchestration (Terraform, docker, Kubernetes, etc)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.