[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
The mobile team at Quora builds modern mobile experiences for our millions of users. We build efficient and reliable platform APIs for Quora’s product teams. Our unique hybrid architecture enables fast cross-platform product development on our React pages, while also giving us access to all native specific advantages such as improved navigation and push notifications. The mobile team ensures the high performance and reliability of this framework.
About the Role:
Our Android engineers use their expertise of the platform to identify and build modern Android features which enhance the Quora experience on Android devices, such as building dark mode or enabling sharing content into the app. They solve Android-specific problems like scrolling performance on low tier devices. They constantly evaluate the app’s architecture to keep up with modern Android design patterns and are expected to be part of deep system-level design decisions.
- Work within a small team of mobile engineers to build a performant and reliable Android app
- Build new user-facing features and help drive mobile product strategy
- Create tools and infrastructure to enable rapid iteration cycles on mobile
- Inform company decisions on the best direction for our mobile product and technologies
- 3+ years of full-time experience in Android development
- 1+ years of experience with Kotlin
- Strong knowledge of Android frameworks, and mobile trends
- High attention to detail in all aspects of development from performance to UI
- Experience with development on widely used mobile apps on Play Store
- React and React Native experience
- Love of learning and the Quora product