[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
Our small engineering team works on challenging problems every day. We have a culture that's rooted in constantly learning and improving, and our engineers are encouraged to think big and experiment with new ideas. Using continuous deployment, we quickly see our changes in the product and make fast iterations. Our engineers focus on creating polished products and writing high quality code by designing APIs and abstractions that are extensible and maintainable. As an engineering team, Quora also highly values development velocity, and invests heavily in improvements to tools, abstractions, and frameworks to empower developers to move faster and achieve more with a lean team. Everyone on the engineering team has a huge impact on our product and our company.
About the Role:
The Foundation organization at Quora is a set of engineering teams that are focused on building the foundational engineering systems, tools and abstractions that application teams build on top of. Our team architects, builds and maintains large-scale distributed systems that are responsible for keeping Quora up and running. Our systems support a wide range of use cases including data storage and caching, machine learning training and serving, and data pipelines and analytics. We utilize a combination of open-source systems like MySQL, Memcached, Kafka, Spark, and Kubernetes, in addition to building in-house solutions. We are the stewards of the core measurements of engineering efficiency at the company, such as reliability, speed, costs, and maintenance burden. We support a variety of teams and our clients come from a wide range of areas like Product Engineering, Machine Learning, Data Science, and Design.
In this role, you’ll work closely with other engineers in the Foundation organization to solve interesting technical challenges in the domain of scalability, performance, and developer efficiency. This role is great for backend-oriented engineers who enjoy empowering other developers, and who are eager to learn and execute in different systems and tools. Entry-level engineers are welcomed to apply.
- Work with others to design, build, and maintain large-scale distributed systems.
- Continuously improve scalability, reliability and efficiency of infrastructure systems.
- Maintain production SLA's by triaging issues while being on-call and help debug production issues when they arise.
- Build monitoring tools and automation to increase efficiency of all teams at Quora.
- Understand developer pain points and common questions, and aim to improve or answer them.
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's "coordination hours" (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field, or a completion of coding bootcamp.
- Experience working with open-source systems for data storage and caching (e.g. MySQL, HDFS, Memcached, Redis, etc).
- Excellent coding skills with proficiency in any programming language (e.g. Python, C++, Java, etc)
- A passion for learning and always improving yourself and the team around you.
- Familiarity with AWS services (e.g. EC2, S3, EMR) or other public cloud providers.
- Experience working with infrastructure containerization and orchestration (Ansible, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Love of learning and the Quora product
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.