The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
We're creating a repository for all human knowledge. To do this, we need to design systems that make sharing knowledge rewarding and discovering it easy; and that scale to support the participation of the entire planet. Designing a global ecosystem for knowledge sharing, and the platform for businesses to reach this audience, requires a multidisciplinary approach. We're building a diverse team with people of different backgrounds and experiences, empowered to shape strategy while moving quickly and learning as much as possible.
Designers at Quora are thoughtful generalists who leverage what they learn about psychological and social dynamics, communities and networks, and systems and policy design, in addition to more typical design skills. Product design plays a significant role in product strategy and direction (our VP of Design reports directly to our CEO). Working on everything from ranking to UI, from internationalization to moderation systems, design decisions are validated through A/B testing and user studies alike, as we value rigor and empathy in equal measure. We pursue candor, holism, rigor, care, and awareness in our work.
About the Role:
We’re seeking someone who has a track record of designing and building successful products with multiple years of leadership experience. You are as passionate about product design itself as about building, nurturing, and developing a team of driven, scrappy, technical product designers and design managers. You will be the steward of the team’s culture, health, and organizational structure.
You have experience designing scalable product systems and have a talent for integrating data-driven and user experience priorities into an optimal solution. As both the design team and the product scale, you will advocate for the design team and advance the design perspective across the organization, driving alignment with partners and leaders in Product Management, Engineering, and Data Science.
As the director of a growing team, you will own the team’s recruiting efforts; this may include being active in the industry and with external partners and peers. You will be essential to building and maintaining a diverse and rigorous team that is empowered to take risks and learn from mistakes, tackling Quora’s most difficult problems.
- Recruit, nurture, and retain top-tier talent
- Develop a deep network of design leads and people managers
- Provide a clear channel of communication and coordination between design teams and upper management
- Partner with key stakeholders to set goals, plan roadmaps, prioritize work, and coordinate staffing and resources on established planning cycles
- Identify problems, diagnose root causes, and design solutions to improve our projects, processes, and people management in a highly technical environment
- Achieve immediate results and short-term flexibility, while building processes and a culture that ensures the long-term health of the design systems supporting the product
- Work with the design management team to develop new initiatives and improve existing processes and culture across the entire design function
- Foster a data-driven design culture that’s in balance with the overall user experience
- Partner closely with Recruiting to expand the team, including sourcing and interviewing candidates, participating in conferences/events, and overseeing successful on-boarding of new designers
- Experience building consumer internet products
- 10+ years of hands-on product design experience
- 5+ years of direct management experience, including growing and managing other managers
- Excellent analytical skills and technical understanding
- Proven record of building and developing high-caliber design teams with happy, challenged, and curious designers
- Ability to drive alignment cross-functionally with strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- A user of the Quora product
- Passion for building consumer internet products
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.