At quip, we design and deliver delightful products and services that keep your mouth healthy.
We’ve assembled a design-focused, customer-centric team with top talent from across the healthcare and direct-to-consumer industries to create a one-stop shop for consumers and providers that makes the oral care experience simple, affordable, and fun.
We’re looking for a General Counsel to join quip and spearhead a variety of legal needs for our growing team. We recently raised a $100 million growth round in August 2021 and now serve over 8 million customers in more than 100 countries. As our business continues to grow, we’re ready for someone in- house who truly understands our vision and knows how to get there - legally. You will be a critical member of the cross-functional leadership team, reporting directly to the Chief Business Officer and the Board of Directors to advise all teams within quip, as well as liaise between quip and outside counsel when necessary.
As General Counsel, we are looking for a business-minded, risk-management partner. You will be our go-to person in providing sound legal advice and strategic decision-making for the company as we expand our oral care offerings as a CPG business and dental technology platform to new geographies. The ideal candidate will have experience building a strategy across regulatory, risk, and compliance functions at a healthcare or high-growth startup. To excel in this role, you’ll be a self-starter and problem-solver who enjoys working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and is equipped for the unexpected.
This role reports into the Chief Business Officer.
- Set the overall strategy, scope, and day-to-day responsibilities for the legal function at quip and manage all legal matters for the company in alignment with our mission, values, and business objectives.
- Oversee healthcare regulatory environment to ensure risk-managed scaling of quip’s platform, including recently launched quip Aligners and other matters related to disrupting the dental healthcare space.
- Support the CEO and Finance team on legal aspects in fundraising efforts and other corporate development initiatives. Manage legal, corporate governance matters, including Board materials, consents, minutes, and associated processes and policies.
- Support the executive team on legal aspects of opportunities or business issues across Operations, Product, Finance, People Ops, Sales, Engineering, and Marketing. Identify and assess legal risks and opportunities generally and advise accordingly.
- Offer guidance and serve as the escalation point for a wide variety of legal matters, including but not limited to contract law, state/federal compliance issues, data/privacy regulations, intellectual property, and other HR, employment, or corporate matters.
- Represent the company directly and/or manage outside legal counsel in regulatory enforcement or litigation matters if needed. Liaise with outside counsel to improve efficient communications and maximize value.
- Draft, negotiate, and examine agreements, such as strategic partnership opportunities, vendor contracts, and supplier agreements.
- Review all corporate contracts
- 7+ years experience in a lead counsel role.
- A JD from a top law school with the ability to practice law in New York.
- Understand corporate compliance as we look to potentially go public in the future - PCI, FDA, ADA, Hipaa
- In-house experience with a high growth healthcare company or consumer product industry background (experience with regulatory, customer and vendor relations) strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with international law in regards to global business expansion is a plus.
- Exceptional judgment and ability to act decisively and with discretion in situations requiring quick but thorough analysis and decision-making.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to roll up your sleeves.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work across functions.
- Thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and able to turn work around very quickly, as needed.
- Strong project management, attention to detail, and a no-task-too-small mentality.
- You'll be working in a high energy, fast-paced environment helping us make oral care simple and effective!
- An office located in the heart of DUMBO with breathtaking views of Manhattan Bridge (the role is currently remote in response to the COVID-19 pandemic)
- Fully covered health insurance (with an option to opt into a premium internal dental program)
- Commuter benefits for parking & transit
- Offer competitive paid parental leave policy for qualifying employees
- Flexible work from home options
- Open vacation policy
- Dog-friendly office space
- 401k Contribution
- Extended Education Assistance
- Employee Referral Program
- Competitive compensation package with stock options at a high-growth startup
- Fully stocked kitchen with snacks (make sure to use your quip after snacking!)
- Your very own quip with an unlimited subscription plan
- The opportunity to help us make oral care more simple, effective and accessible!
Most of us aren’t brushing our teeth correctly, either because we don’t know how to do it right, or because we just don’t feel like it. At quip, we design delightful products and experiences to help you care for your mouth better. Our initial product is a beautifully simple electric toothbrush and toothpaste that was featured by Time Magazine as one of the 25 Best Inventions of 2016. With refill brush heads and toothpaste arriving on a 3-monthly schedule. We pride ourselves on great design and our brand values of simplicity, honesty and accessibility, which are applied throughout our community. We are excited to apply these principles to the acceleration of our digital patient-professional advice and services platform.
quip is committed to promoting equality, inclusion, and diversity beyond your brushing routine. We believe our company is better equipped to care for every mouth when we listen to fresh perspectives from every voice, and in doing so, we build an equal-opportunity team of the brightest minds (and mouths)—regardless of race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, identity, or any other trait that makes you you. By celebrating and supporting our differences, we will thrive in our mission to improve oral health for all.