At quip, we design and deliver delightful products and services that keep your mouth healthy.
We are a fast growing startup and are seeking an experienced director of product design to help us refine our digital experience, and help to make oral health design forward, relevant, accessible, and interesting.
The ideal candidate will be a highly empathetic design leader who will lead the product design team and their projects and collaborate closely with our creative, marketing, and leadership.
You will need to shift roles seamlessly, from leading design on larger, more complex engagements to overseeing the work of others and ensuring that business and customer needs are being met in equal measure.
- Manage a team of product designers working on quip’s digital experience across web and apps, as well as the design system and tooling team that drives a coherent design language across all our products.
- Work with product & engineering teams to develop the digital product lifecycle, including planning, scoping, building, testing, delivery, and continuous improvement.
- Inspire, motivate, and lead designers across experience levels to do the best work of their careers while comfortably flexing as an individual contributor if needed to help your team hit its goals.
- Drive consistent and effective UX and UI patterns across quip’s customer touchpoints (ecommerce site, mobile app, etc.).
- Partner with Product Managers to draft user research plans, conduct usability testing and user research interviews, and translate learnings into actionable insights.
- Champion the quip brand by partnering with the Brand Design team to craft compelling, delightful, and consistent copy, illustrations, animations, and photography across the entire customer journey.
- Work with Engineering to deliver and communicate design mockups and specs .
- Work with fellow designers and engineers to develop our design systems with style guides and component libraries.
- 7+ experience in designing mobile and website apps, with a strong portfolio of shipped products of high quality and real impact.
- 2+ years of experience in attracting, managing, and growing high-performing designers. Developed the careers of other product designers who have gone on to do great things.
- Clear communicator and compelling storyteller with an ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal and presentation skills to defend your design choices to the executive leadership team.
- Selfless leadership style that sees your role as an opportunity to serve others. You deploy your team in a way that shares decision making, encourages ownership and autonomy, and drives engagement.
- Deep understanding of user-centric problem solving, design thinking and the full-cycle of the product development process, which can include: service design, user experience design, interaction design, information architecture, user interface design, visual design, and research.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in a design discipline related to interaction, information architecture, user interface, UX, graphic design.
- Expert in: Figma, Adobe Suite, and prototyping tools (like Principle)
- Bonus: Knowledge of HTML/CSS and how to design for it, ability to interface directly with developers.
- You'll be working in a high energy, fast-paced environment helping us make oral care simple and effective!
- An office located in the heart of DUMBO with breathtaking views of Manhattan Bridge (the office currently remains remote in response to COVID-19)
- Fully covered health insurance (with an option to opt into a premium internal dental program)
- Commuter benefits for parking & transit
- Offer competitive paid parental leave policy for qualifying employees
- Flexible work from home options
- Open vacation policy
- Dog-friendly office space
- 401k Contribution
- Extended Education Assistance
- Employee Referral Program
- Competitive compensation package with stock options at a high-growth startup
- Fully stocked kitchen with snacks (make sure to use your quip after snacking!)
- Generous employee discount on all quip products
- The opportunity to help us make oral care more simple, effective and accessible!
Most of us aren’t brushing our teeth correctly, either because we don’t know how to do it right, or because we just don’t feel like it. At quip, we design delightful products and experiences to help you care for your mouth better. Our initial product is a beautifully simple electric toothbrush and toothpaste that was featured by Time Magazine as one of the 25 Best Inventions of 2016. With refill brush heads and toothpaste arriving on a 3-monthly schedule. We pride ourselves on great design and our brand values of simplicity, honesty, and accessibility, which are applied throughout our community. We are excited to apply these principles to the acceleration of our digital patient-professional advice and services platform.
quip is committed to promoting equality, inclusion, and diversity beyond your brushing routine. We believe our company is better equipped to care for every mouth when we listen to fresh perspectives from every voice, and in doing so, we build an equal-opportunity team of the brightest minds (and mouths)—regardless of race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, identity, or any other trait that makes you you. By celebrating and supporting our differences, we will thrive in our mission to improve oral health for all.