At quip, we design and deliver delightful and effective ways to keep your mouth healthy, from the personal care products that help you at home every day, to the professional care services you require at least twice a year.
We are looking for a mid-level Mechanical Engineer to help continue this mission. The ideal candidate will drive both new product development as well continuous improvement efforts for existing products..
- Engineer products from concept through mass production.
- Design cost-consciously.
- Conduct FEA, Moldflow, and other simulations to engineer parts and assemblies.
- Communicate with cross-functional teams to collaborate on product quality and problem-solving.
- Communicate findings clearly, with a mind to condense and clarify a mixture of inputs.
- Collaborate with vendors to validate designs and prepare them for mass production.Create engineering drawings and other engineering documentation.
- Travel internationally (when appropriate) to solve production issues with suppliers on-site, likely at least four times per year.
- Conduct RCA for supplier quality problems and coordinate/implement effective and timely CAPA.
- Liaise between design engineering, product management, finance, sourcing, quality, manufacturing, and other stakeholders to identify and prioritize critical project milestones and deliverables.
- Present engineering feedback and best practices information to local and offshore engineering teams and suppliers.
- Review existing product design, identify weaknesses, propose, implement and monitor the effectiveness of improvements.
- Lead and implement quality improvements, review/audit manufacturing processes and quality systems at suppliers.
- Lead post-launch sustaining activities intended to support a smooth transition into production while maintaining high-quality standards.
- Lead engineering-related cost-down efforts.
- Bachelor’s (B.S.) Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Solidworks – high proficiency with surfacing, top-down modeling, simulation, assemblies, and 2D drafting
- Knowledge of materials, processes, assembly, electronics, and production methods
- 2+ years of experience in engineering, with a focus on consumer products
- Experience conceptualizing, designing, and optimizing a variety of mechanisms
- Strong sense of high-volume data as an input to engineering analysis
- Ability to deftly and rapidly create a proof-of-concept and cosmetic prototypes using a mix of outsourced and in-house fabrication methods
- Expertise in achieving best-in-class fit and finish
- Understanding of mold making, both its opportunities and challenges
- Comfort with rapid development cycles and the ability to remain flexible in the face of ambiguity
- Knowledge of DFM best practices and real-world practicalities
- Strong project management skills to manage a very broad set of tasks and responsibilities
- Experience working with domestic, overseas suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Experience with product qualification, testing, and validation
- Working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) and tolerance stack analysis
- Advanced knowledge of good manufacturing processes/methods, process capability, part tooling, and machining processes
- Experience designing products that are exposed to humid/wet environments
- High cavitation injection molding, 2K molding, sheetmetal, and die casting process experience
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Excel and Matlab for analysis
- Experience designing electronics
- Experience with IPX qualified products that require defense against moisture ingress
- Advanced knowledge of CNC, flow forming, spin forming, anodizing, bead blasting, coating, and other finishing processes
- You'll be working in a high energy, fast-paced environment helping us make oral care simple and effective!
- An office located in the heart of DUMBO with breathtaking views of Manhattan Bridge
- WiFi enabled rooftop
- Competitive medical benefit package (with an option to opt into a premium internal dental program)
- Commuter benefits for parking & transit
- Offer competitive paid parental leave policy for qualifying employees
- Flexible work from home options
- Open vacation policy
- Dog-friendly office space
- 401k Offering through MassMutual
- Competitive compensation package
- Fully stocked kitchen with snacks (make sure to use your quip after snacking!)
- Your very own quip with employee discount packages
- The opportunity to help us make oral care more simple, effective and accessible!
Most of us aren’t brushing our teeth correctly, either because we don’t know how to do it right, or because we just don’t feel like it. At quip, we design delightful products and experiences to help you care for your mouth better. Our initial product is a beautifully simple electric toothbrush and toothpaste that was featured by Time Magazine as one of the 25 Best Inventions of 2016. With refill brush heads and toothpaste arriving on a 3-monthly schedule. We pride ourselves on great design and our brand values of simplicity, honesty, and accessibility, which are applied throughout our community. We are excited to apply these principles to the acceleration of our digital patient-professional advice and services platform.
quip is committed to promoting equality, inclusion, and diversity beyond your brushing routine. We believe our company is better equipped to care for every mouth when we listen to fresh perspectives from every voice, and in doing so, we build an equal-opportunity team of the brightest minds (and mouths)—regardless of race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, identity, or any other trait that makes you you. By celebrating and supporting our differences, we will thrive in our mission to improve oral health for all.