At quip, we design and deliver delightful products and services that keep your mouth healthy. We are looking for a Design Researcher to join our Hardware Innovation group who will help execute a strong vision for improving, refreshing and growing this range of products to support more oral care needs and our ever-increasing member base that is in the millions.
You will work closely with all disciplines in the Hardware team to deliver insights that help drive strategy and design forward. Hardware Innovation team prides itself on creative problem solving that bucks most ordinary practice. We envision products as centered on exceptional user experience and it requires a rigor of method, depth of intelligence, and a penchant for delight not found in everyday products. If you’re ridiculously passionate about good design coupled with a deep curiosity for understanding our users, we want to talk.
- Own design research activities throughout the concept development phase. Working closely with industrial design, mechanical engineering, hardware project, and product management to drive the development of new and existing quip products forward.
- Perform opportunity assessments in collaboration with Hardware Product Management to develop a set of marketing and product requirements that will lay the foundations for new concept development.
- Design and conduct user studies and maintain a pulse on the oral health industry to provide intelligence that enables the hardware team to populate and prioritize the hardware roadmap.
- Day to day tasks will include, but will not be limited to; user interviews, quantitative surveys, shop-alongs, usability testing, concept and prototype testing, user journey mapping, recruitment, creation of research plans and interview guides, market and desktop research.
- Bridge the gap between research and strategy by effectively analyzing data and synthesizing qualitative findings into opportunities.
- Craft and present clear and concise presentations that effectively communicate insights and opportunities.
- Drive workshop content related to insights and opportunities and support team in conducting internal workshops.
- A BA/BS degree in Anthropology, Human Factors, Psychology, HCI/Computer Science, related field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with consumer products
- 5+ years managing user research
- You’re a true advocate to the user
- You’re a self-starter that can effectively project manage, with great attention to detail
- You have a strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during each product phase
- You'll be working in a high energy, fast-paced environment helping us make oral care simple and effective!
- An office located in the heart of DUMBO with breathtaking views of Manhattan Bridge
- Fully covered health insurance (with an option to opt into a premium internal dental program)
- Commuter benefits for parking & transit
- Offer competitive paid parental leave policy for qualifying employees
- Flexible work from home options
- Open vacation policy
- Dog-friendly office space
- 401k Contribution
- Extended Education Assistance
- Employee Referral Program
- Competitive compensation package with stock options at a high-growth startup
- Fully stocked kitchen with snacks (make sure to use your quip after snacking!)
- Your very own quip with an unlimited subscription plan
- The opportunity to help us make oral care more simple, effective and accessible!
Most of us aren’t brushing our teeth correctly, either because we don’t know how to do it right, or because we just don’t feel like it. At quip, we design delightful products and experiences to help you care for your mouth better. Our initial product is a beautifully simple electric toothbrush and toothpaste that was featured by Time Magazine as one of the 25 Best Inventions of 2016. With refill brush heads and toothpaste arriving on a 3-monthly schedule, we are now growing our physical and digital product and service line with that same standard of design to help with the whole of our member’s oral care routines. We pride ourselves on great design and our brand values of simplicity, honesty and accessibility are applied throughout our community.
quip is committed to promoting equality, inclusion, and diversity beyond your brushing routine. We believe our company is better equipped to care for every mouth when we listen to fresh perspectives from every voice, and in doing so, we build an equal-opportunity team of the brightest minds (and mouths)—regardless of race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, identity, or any other trait that makes you you. By celebrating and supporting our differences, we will thrive in our mission to improve oral health for all.