At quip, we design and deliver delightful products and services that keep your mouth healthy. At the heart of our offering is a range of award-winning daily use oral care products, from Toothbrush to toothpaste and everything in between. Over time we are continually improving, refreshing and growing this range of products to support more oral care needs and our ever-increasing member base that is in the millions.
The ideal candidate would be able to help build our product portfolio, including existing, in-process and not yet conceived products. You will dive deep into concept development, brainstorms, and help create the future of product at quip. The role would be operating on a growing team of 5 + designers and engineers and leading the ID process as a team lead to make real an aggressive product roadmap that impacts millions of quip subscribers. You’ll work with multiple disciplines and contribute concepts, thinking, research, and high fidelity form development to the design of our newest products. You’ll work out of our DUMBO Brooklyn office with a team of 70+ team members to support with marketing, graphic design, supply chain, and finance. You should be adept at communicating concepts through various mediums, including (digital) sketching, surface modeling, 3D printing and model making.
quip’s Hardware Innovation team prides itself on creative problem solving that bucks most ordinary practice. When we envision a product with unparalleled user experience, it requires a rigor of method, a depth of intelligence, and a penchant for delight not found in everyday products. If you’re ridiculously passionate about good design, we want to talk.
- Work with team members and workflows within ID to match the overall Hardware team’s strategic goals for the product and the larger company roadmap
- Contribute design work directly as well as refine other’s work in a collaborative environment
- Fine-Grained attention to every detail of a product including material, finish, weight, and user experience
- Ability to design cost-consciously around mold making, being mindful of materials, complexity, and part weight.
- Organize, communicate, and present work clearly at regular reviews with a focus on demonstrating the mixture of inputs and how they were translated into the work
- Technically excellent with a drive to constantly push your craft to the next level
- Excellent time management skills and ability to plan and execute on design projects
- 5-8 years of professional Industrial Design experience
- Strong concept development techniques like sketching, sculpting, or other rapid processes
- Strong aesthetic sensibilities that come to life through form development and presentations
- Knowledge and ability to use tools such as SolidWorks, Rhino, Keyshot, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Design for manufacturing experience
- Understanding of user-centered design processes including research and strategy
- Ability to think of creative user-focused experiences and designs.
- Familiarity with prototyping solutions with a mix of samples, handwork, FDM printing, and SLA 3D printing (Form 2)
- You are naturally curious and take initiative to open up new ideas not just by suggestion, but through persuasive prototypes, and other media
- Extremely collaborative and open work style
- Engaged and active self-starter
NICE - TO - HAVES
- Knowledge of best practices for SLA/FDM 3D printing
- Ability to speak Mandarin or Cantonese
- Experience with foam and other sculpting-based modeling
- A deep fondness for whiteboards and dry erase markers
- You'll be working in a high energy, fast paced environment helping us make oral care simple and effective!
- An office located in the heart of DUMBO with breathtaking views of Manhattan Bridge
- Fully covered health insurance (with an option to opt into a premium internal dental program)
- Commuter benefits for parking & transit
- Offer competitive paid parental leave policy for qualifying employees
- Flexible work from home options
- Open vacation policy
- Dog-friendly office space
- 401k Contribution
- Employee Bonus Referral
- Extended Education Assistance
- Competitive compensation package with stock options at a high-growth startup
- Fully stocked kitchen with snacks (make sure to use your quip after snacking!)
- Your very own quip with an unlimited subscription plan
- The opportunity to help us make oral care more simple, effective and accessible!
Most of us aren’t brushing our teeth correctly, either because we don’t know how to do it right, or because we just don’t feel like it. At quip, we design delightful products and experiences to help you care for your mouth better. Our initial product is a beautifully simple electric toothbrush and toothpaste that was featured by Time Magazine as one of the 25 Best Inventions of 2016. With refill brush heads and toothpaste arriving on a 3-monthly schedule, we are now growing our product line with that same standard of design. We pride ourselves on great design and our brand values of simplicity, honesty and accessibility are applied throughout our community.
quip is committed to promoting equality, inclusion, and diversity beyond your brushing routine. We believe our company is better equipped to care for every mouth when we listen to fresh perspectives from every voice, and in doing so, we build an equal-opportunity team of the brightest minds (and mouths)—regardless of race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, identity, or any other trait that makes you you. By celebrating and supporting our differences, we will thrive in our mission to improve oral health for all.