At quip, we design and deliver delightful products and services to keep all mouths healthy. We are looking for a Mid-to-Senior Level Mechanical Design Engineer to help continue this mission. The ideal candidate can confidently help build our product portfolio, enhancing existing products and developing new products.
You will dive deep into materials, methods, and innovate entirely new production methodology to support innovative products that the team invents together. You will be operating on a team of designers and engineers to make real an aggressive product roadmap that serves well more than a million quip subscribers. You will work with complex assemblies and contribute engineering rigor to the conception, prototyping, and design of our newest products. These products will involve advanced sensors and PCBAs, precision CNC, high-cavitation plastic injection, and world-class Tier 1 CMs. You will work out of our DUMBO Brooklyn office, occasionally troubleshooting problems in-person with foreign teams in China and other international locations. You should be familiar with factory environments, international supplier relationships, and working past language barriers to communicate nuanced concepts.
quip’s Hardware Team prides itself on creative problem solving often bucks ordinary practice. When we envision a product with unparalleled user experience, it requires a rigor of method, depth of intelligence, and a penchant for delight not often found in everyday products. If you’re ridiculously passionate about good design and good engineering, we want to talk.
- Engineer products from concept through mass production.
- Effectively manage small teams of engineers.
- Design cost-consciously around mold making, materials, actions, cycle times, and part weight.
- Conduct FEA, Moldflow, and other simulation methods to anticipate and improve parts and assemblies.
- Communicate with cross-functional teams to collaborate on product quality and problem-solving.
- Communicate findings clearly, with a mind to condense and clarify a mixture of inputs.
- Collaborate with vendors to produce parts.
- Create engineering drawings and other engineering documentation.
- Travel internationally to solve production issues with suppliers on-site, likely at least four times per year.
- Solidworks – high proficiency with surfacing, top-down modeling, simulation, assemblies, and 2D drafting
- Knowledge of, materials, processes, assembly, electronics, and production methods
- 4+ years of experience in engineering, with a focus on packaged consumer goods
- Experience conceptualizing, designing, and optimizing a variety of mechanisms
- Strong sense of high-volume data as an input to engineering analysis
- Ability to deftly and rapidly create a proof-of-concept and cosmetic prototypes using a mix of outsourced and in-house fabrication methods
- Understanding of 2D prints, tolerance stack-up analysis, and complications arising from high-cavitation mold making
- Expertise in achieving best-in-class fit and finish
- Understanding of mold making, both its opportunities and challenges
- Comfort with rapid development cycles and the ability to remain flexible in the face of ambiguity
- Knowledge of DFM best practices and real-world practicalities
- Strong project management skills to manage a very broad set of tasks and responsibilities
NICE - TO - HAVES
- Fluency in Mandarin
- Excel and Matlab for analysis
- Experience with IPX qualified products that require defense against moisture ingress
- High cavitation injection molding experience
- Experience with metal CNC, flow forming, spin forming, anodizing, bead blasting, coating, and other finishing processes
- You'll be working in a high energy, fast-paced environment helping us make oral care simple and effective!
- An office located in the heart of DUMBO with breathtaking views of Manhattan Bridge
- Fully covered health insurance (with an option to opt into a premium internal dental program)
- Commuter benefits for parking & transit
- Offer competitive paid parental leave policy for qualifying employees
- Flexible work from home options
- Open vacation policy
- Dog-friendly office space
- 401k Contribution
- Extended Education Assistance
- Employee Referral Program
- Competitive compensation package with stock options at a high-growth startup
- Fully stocked kitchen with snacks (make sure to use your quip after snacking!)
- Generous employee discount on all quip products
- The opportunity to help us make oral care more simple, effective and accessible!
Most of us aren’t brushing our teeth correctly, either because we don’t know how to do it right, or because we just don’t feel like it. At quip, we design delightful products and experiences to help you care for your mouth better. Our initial product is a beautifully simple electric toothbrush and toothpaste that was featured by Time Magazine as one of the 25 Best Inventions of 2016. With refill brush heads and toothpaste arriving on a 3-monthly schedule, we are now growing our product line with that same standard of design. We pride ourselves on great design and our brand values of simplicity, honesty and accessibility are applied throughout our community.
quip is committed to promoting equality, inclusion, and diversity beyond your brushing routine. We believe our company is better equipped to care for every mouth when we listen to fresh perspectives from every voice, and in doing so, we build an equal-opportunity team of the brightest minds (and mouths)—regardless of race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, identity, or any other trait that makes you you. By celebrating and supporting our differences, we will thrive in our mission to improve oral health for all.