At quip, we design and deliver delightful and effective ways to keep your mouth healthy: from the daily care products that help you at home every day, to the professional care services you require at least twice a year.
The Lead Formulation Engineer heads up the development of formulation products at quip. This highly strategic role is responsible for growing and improving quip’s formulation product range across our oral care categories. This role works with internal teams to define and create formula specifications, develop strategic opportunities and then to implement with external labs, suppliers, and partners. This is a player/coach role that leads by working directly with the business teams, suppliers and vendors, with a little lab work thrown in. They must be comfortable integrating innovative new technologies within an active supply chain to extend quip’s lead in the creation of disruptive oral care products.
quip’s Innovation team prides itself on creative problem solving that bucks most ordinary practice. When we envision a product with novel and class-leading user experience, it requires a rigor of method, a depth of intelligence, and a penchant for delight not found in everyday products. If you’re ridiculously passionate about your field, we want to talk.
Technical and Innovation Leadership
- Investigate and identify ingredient technologies and formulation strategies that deliver delight and efficacy to all quip users across the range of quip’s current and future products
- Work cross-functionally with Insights and Experience as well as the Dental Provider team to define and qualify new product experiences using user feedback and testing
- Maintain and continue efforts to reduce environmental impact across all formulation products using the most up to date formulation technologies
- Identify and implement class-leading strategies for natural ingredient formulations
- Help identify and implement cost savings and product improvements in line with the relentless pursuit of our product strategy
- Work with Quality Control and Production Services on project startups; actively manage resources and workloads to ensure flawless execution
- Expand and deepen quip’s relationships with outside partners on both the supply side and technology side
- Develop a roadmap for the future of quip’s Formulation team to succeed in a “design and deliver” environment
- Actively promote and educate formulation and scientific knowledge internally at quip that contributes to our “mouths first” mission for oral care
- 8+ years of experience in formulation, analytical, or product development in a Pharmaceutical, Consumer Health, FMCG, Cosmetics, or Food supplements business
- Experienced in identifying emerging chemical and raw material technologies
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally with teams to build a successful model for the development of new platforms and/or categories
- Proven ability to work with and innovate vendor processes in the transfer of formulation to manufacture
- Expertise in causes of physical and chemical incompatibilities in formulations.
- Knowledge of stability (physical and chemical) study needs and stability issues of formulations.
- Understanding of clinical studies and claims generation.
- Understanding of the Medical, Quality, Regulatory aspects of new product development
- An appreciation for the modern consumer sentiment and the opportunities to delight that consumer with unique and category-defying experiences
- Creative thinker able to link formulation ideas to business and strategic goals
- Deep knowledge of competitive formulations and an eye for new technologies
- Exceptional communicator and people leader with the ability to demystify technical issues for a nontechnical audience
- Strong project management and prioritization skills; proven ability to handle multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Preparing technical documentation and synthesizing data generated during formulation development and stability studies, including analytical methods and results.
- Experience with regulatory, compliance, legal requirements for OTC medical products
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to travel internationally to support vendor development and sourcing within our supply chain
- Bachelors’ degree or above in Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Chemistry (any), Chemical Engineering, or Bioprocess Engineering. (MOVE THIS TO REQUIREMENTS)
- You'll be working in a high energy, fast-paced environment helping us make oral care simple and effective!
- An office located in the heart of DUMBO with breathtaking views of Manhattan Bridge
- Fully covered health insurance (with an option to opt into a premium internal dental program)
- Commuter benefits for parking & transit
- Offer competitive paid parental leave policy for qualifying employees
- Flexible work from home options
- Open vacation policy
- Dog-friendly office space
- 401k Contribution
- Employee Bonus Referral Program
- Extended Education Assistance
- Competitive compensation package with stock options at a high-growth startup
- Fully stocked kitchen with snacks (make sure to use your quip after snacking!)
- Your very own quip with an unlimited subscription plan
Most of us aren’t brushing our teeth correctly, either because we don’t know how to do it right, or because we just don’t feel like it. At quip, we design delightful products and experiences to help you care for your mouth better. Our initial product is a beautifully simple electric toothbrush and toothpaste that was featured by Time Magazine as one of the 25 Best Inventions of 2016. With refill brush heads and toothpaste arriving on a 3-monthly schedule, we are now growing our physical and digital product and service line with that same standard of design to help with the whole of our member’s oral care routines. We pride ourselves on great design and our brand values of simplicity, honesty and accessibility are applied throughout our community.
quip is committed to promoting equality, inclusion, and diversity beyond your brushing routine. We believe our company is better equipped to care for every mouth when we listen to fresh perspectives from every voice, and in doing so, we build an equal-opportunity team of the brightest minds (and mouths)—regardless of race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, identity, or any other trait that makes you you. By celebrating and supporting our differences, we will thrive in our mission to improve oral health for all.