QuestBridge is a national nonprofit program that connects outstanding low-income students with educational opportunities that can change their lives, as well as the demographics of our nation’s leading educational institutions.
The Data Scientist position offers a unique opportunity for someone passionate about bringing their data and technical experiences to enhance educational programs and contribute to the growth of a far-reaching entrepreneurial social venture. Reporting to the Director of Data Science and Analytics (DSA), this person will lead, manage, and execute on data-related operations and initiatives, often working across multiple teams at QuestBridge.
Our Data Scientist will have the opportunity to collaborate with program, data, and engineering team members across other departments for thought partnership, feedback, and growth. In addition to technical experience, this position has a strong focus on rigor, communication, project management, and systems-thinking. If you will enjoy applying your skills to data projects that fuel QuestBridge’s mission, we look forward to reviewing your application!
Role and Responsibilities
Success of this role is defined by achieving the following:
- Accurate and efficient implementation of tools, models, and other data operations related to our College Programs, College Partnerships, and other programmatic efforts across QuestBridge
- Improvements in QuestBridge’s data consistency, accuracy, and usage
- Detailed understanding of the limits and potential of QuestBridge data
- Detailed understanding of data used in all analytics projects (including visualizations that help others gain clarity for decision-making)
- Well-documented code that others can easily reuse and/or build upon
- Timely and relevant analyses and reports for operational use
- Completion of complex reporting and analysis requests
- Creation and maintenance of documentation of QuestBridge data and data processes
- Ability to support data-related operational tasks across the organization
- Travel to events to interact and support students and apply these experiences to continuously improve programming
- Read and evaluate student applications for the College Prep Scholars Program, National College Match, and other various opportunities
- Other duties, as assigned
- Relevant work experience or training of at least 4 years
- Demonstrated experience working in a centralized role that requires collaboration with many teams across a given organization
- Experience leading a project from ideation to implementation
- Previous success in leading data initiatives for impact (scoping, managing stakeholders, visualization, insights, improved decision-making)
- Ability to leverage best coding practices to conduct data cleaning, data wrangling, analyses, and build data products
- Familiarity with some or all of the following:
- Python (Pandas, Scikit Learn, etc.)
- Functional programming
- Exceptional attention to detail, with ability to maintain focus on the larger picture
- Strong written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects from start to finish (organizing bandwidth, workflows, and multiple deliverables for on-time delivery) in fast-paced environments
- Ability to incorporate feedback
- Track record of taking initiative
- Passion for QuestBridge’s mission
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Economics or another quantitative field
- Experience working with data in the education sector
- Track record of producing analyses that result in meaningful decision-making
- Experience increasing efficiency of processes, and automation of analyses and reporting
- Experience using CRM platforms and application
- Experience with using data science and machine learning techniques to help teams and organizations better serve their constituents
Competitive compensation is commensurate with experience and skills for the position.
Hours and Location of Work
This is a full-time position remote within the US. Employees will be expected to be engaged online and travel approximately once per quarter.
Please include a thoughtful cover letter with your application, and a sample of past data-related projects and any relevant code from the project. Apply Now!
Thank you for your interest in employment with QuestBridge. QuestBridge is an equal opportunity employer.