- Currently studying or 2018/19 graduate from MSc or PhD level in the field of Computer Science, Machine Learning, Applied Statistics, Mathematics
- Experience in statistical modelling and machine learning techniques
- Programming experience in at least two of the following languages: R, Python, Scala, SQL
- Experience in applying data science methods to business problems
- Experience in applying advanced analytical and statistical methods in the commercial world
- Good presentation and communication skills, with the ability to explain complex analytical concepts to people from other fields
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
As a Data Scientist Intern you will join QuantumBlack’s leading data science team for ~12 weeks in Sydney or Melbourne. You will gain experience working in interdisciplinary teams consisting of Data Scientists, Data Engineers, Machine Learning Engineers, Designers and McKinsey experts on interdisciplinary projects, using Maths, Stats and Machine Learning to derive structure and knowledge from raw data across various industry sectors.
You will be joining a team of PhD data scientists that will challenge you and invest in your professional development through R&D workstreams, data science journal clubs and interdisciplinary team meetings. You also helping the best organizations in the world solve their most difficult problems. journal clubs and attend interdisciplinary team meetings.
Who you are
You are a highly collaborative individual who is capable of laying aside your own agenda, listening to and learning from colleagues, challenging thoughtfully and prioritising impact. You search for ways to improve things and work collaboratively with colleagues. You believe in iterative change, experimenting with new approaches, learning and improving to move forward quickly.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
You will be exposed to the most challenging problems by connecting real world business questions to machine learning methods and translating the results of your R&D work into actionable business solutions. As such, you will support our client services lead to identify business hypotheses and metrics, and you'll have the opportunity to define and drive the analytical scope and method for projects, including formulating and shaping the models.
- Use math, stats and machine learning to derive key insights across various industry sectors
- Write highly optimised code to advance our internal Data Science toolbox
- Develop world-class data science products for clients as well as for our data science team
- Apply your exceptional academic background to develop and apply data science methods to improve and optimism our clients’ performance needs
What you’ll learn
- How successful projections on real world problems across a variety of industries are completed through referencing past deliveries of end to end machine learning pipelines
- Build products alongside the Core engineering team and evolve the engineering process to scale with data, handling complex problems and advanced client situations
- Be able to focus on modelling by working alongside the Data Engineering team which focuses on the wrangling, clean-up and transformation of data.
- Best practices in software development and productionise machine learning by working with our Machine Learning Engineering teams which optimise code for model development and scale it
- Work with our UX and Visual Design teams to interpret your complex models into stunning and user-focused visualisations
- Using new technologies and problem-solving skills in a multicultural and creative environment
You will work on the frameworks and libraries that our teams of Data Scientists and Data Engineers use to progress from data to impact. You will guide global companies through data science solutions to transform their businesses and enhance performance across industries including healthcare, automotive, energy and elite sport.
- Real-World Impact – No project is ever the same; we work across multiple sectors, providing unique learning and development opportunities internationally.
- Fusing Tech & Leadership – We work with the latest technologies and methodologies and offer first class learning programmes at all levels.
- Multidisciplinary Teamwork - Our teams include data scientists, engineers, project managers, UX and visual designers who work collaboratively to enhance performance.
- Innovative Work Culture – Creativity, insight and passion come from being balanced. We cultivate a modern work environment through an emphasis on wellness, insightful talks and training sessions.
- Striving for Diversity – With colleagues from over 40 nationalities, we recognise the benefits of working with people from all walks of life.
Our projects range from helping pharmaceutical companies bring lifesaving drugs to market quicker to optimising a Formula1 car’s performance. At QuantumBlack you have the best of both worlds; all the benefits of being part of one of the leading management consultancies globally and the autonomy to thrive in a fast growth tech culture:
- Healthcare Efficiency – We helped a healthcare provider improve their clinical trial practices by identifying congestion in diagnostic testing as a key indicator of admissions breaches.
- Environmental Impact – We designed and built the first data-driven application for a state of the art centre of excellence in urban innovation by collecting real-time data from environmental sensors across London and deploying proprietary analytics to find unexpected patterns in air pollution.
- Product Development – We worked with the CEO of an elite automotive organisation to reduce the 18-month car development timeframe by improving processes, designs and team structures.
This is a paid internship and successful interns may be offered a full-time return offer. Visit our Careers site to watch our video and read about our interview processes and benefits.