QuantumBlack helps companies use data to drive decisions. We combine business experience, expertise in large-scale data analysis and visualization, and advanced software engineering know-how to deliver results. From aerospace to finance to Formula One, we help companies’ prototype, develop, and deploy bespoke data science and data visualization solutions to make better decisions.
Our Montreal office provides a unique combination of client delivery, Deep Learning focused R&D and exciting People Development opportunities through our Partnership with MILA.
MILA is the most distinctive AI ecosystem in Canada and one of the top Deep Learning centers worldwide. Our partnership and physical presence within the MILA research institute enable us to better serve our clients and solve more complex client problems while developing an exceptional environment for our people.
- Commercial experience leading on client-facing projects, including working in close-knit teams
- Demonstrable leadership and experience working within research and the ability to self-motivate and lead workstreams
- Experience and interest in Big Data technologies (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, NoSQL DBs)
- Working knowledge with modern deep learning languages and frameworks (e.g. Keras, Tenserflow, Torch, Caffe)
- Conceptual understanding of various deep learning architectures and ability to map business problems to different architectures
- Experience working on projects within the cloud ideally AWS, Azure or GCP
- A proven ability in clearly communicating complex solutions
- Experience working on lively projects and a consulting setting, often working on different and multiple projects at the same time
- Strong development background with experience in at least two scripting, object oriented or functional programming language (e.g. SQL, Python, Java, Scala, C#, R)
- Experience building reusable assets (e.g. consolidating best practices/processes garnered from running deep learning projects, to setting up fit-for-purpose re-deployable infrastructure or contributing new code elements to our internal libraries)
- Data Warehousing experience, building operational ETL data pipelines across a number of sources, and constructing relational and dimensional data models
- Experience in at least one ETL tool (e.g. Informatica, Talend, Pentaho, DataStage)
- The ability to work across structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data, extracting information and identifying linkages across disparate data sets
- Excellent interpersonal skills when interacting with clients in a clear, timely, and professional manner.
- A deep personal motivation to always produce outstanding work for your clients and colleagues
- Excel in team collaboration and working with others from diverse skill-sets and backgrounds
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
As a Data Engineer at QuantumBlack, you will be working on the frameworks and libraries that our teams of Data Scientists and Data Engineers use to progress from data to impact.
Who you are
You are a highly collaborative individual who is capable of laying aside your own agenda, listening to and learning from colleagues, challenging thoughtfully and prioritizing impact. You search for ways to improve things and work collaboratively with colleagues. You believe in iterative change, experimenting with new approaches, learning and improving to move forward quickly.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
As a Principal Data Engineer you're passionate about data and the opportunity it provides to organizations. You ‘get’ Big Data and Cloud computing for more advanced data processing and Analytics and are excited about these technologies. You have experience working within a client facing role and are open to a research setting, where you will build leading edge re-usable assets for the Firm as part of QBLabs and its R&D roadmap. You are equally comfortable talking to senior client stakeholders to understand their data as well as designing the ingestion process to store their data and preparing it for Advanced Analytics. You have experience leading client projects and in handling vast amounts of data – architecting the right solution for data integration, ingestion, storage and preparation. You are someone with a drive to implement the best possible solutions for clients. You have a good understanding of Data Science methodologies and can collaborate effectively with highly skilled research and applied Data Science teams. Through the MILA partnership you will help bring to life the latest thinking in Data Science and Computational research onto our client engagements.
- Lead R&D projects from a data engineering perspective, working closely with our Data Scientist, developing new innovative techniques, re-usable assets and best practices in preparing data for Deep Learning models
- Bring a real-world perspective to the research teams, translating the reality of client requirements and capabilities into relevant and appropriate research initiatives
- Lead on client facing projects from a data engineering perspective, working to model their data landscape, obtain data extracts and define secure data exchange approaches
- Plan and execute secure, good practice data integration strategies and approaches
- Acquire, ingest, and process a variety of data (structured, semi-structured and un-structured) from multiple sources and systems into Big Data platforms
- Architect, create and manage data environments in the Cloud
- Collaborate with our data scientists to map data fields to hypotheses and curate, wrangle, and prepare data for use in their advanced analytical models
- Have a strong understanding of Information Security principles to ensure compliant handling and management of client data
- This is a fantastic opportunity to be involved in end-to-end data management for cutting edge Advanced Analytics and Data Science
As an equal opportunity employer, QuantumBlack encourages applications from all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, disability, pregnancy, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief. We maintain a sense of community rooted in respect and consideration for all employees where any evaluation is based simply upon individual work and team performance.