- Degree in graphic design/visual communication [or relevant background]
- Experience designing data visualisations and user interfaces with a high-calibre portfolio (please provide link or attachment)
- Solid understanding of core graphic design principles including visual hierarchy, colour theory, layouts & grids and typography
- Passion for creating meaningful data visualisations and memorable user experiences
- Confident communicator, able to express ideas and convey complicated concepts simply
- Able to run ideation sessions with project stakeholders and users, translating complex ideas into visualisations even at a rough early stage
- Ability to answer briefs and meet deadlines, without compromising on quality
- Ability to justify and defend design decisions to both designers and non-designers
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and Sketch with the ability to handle data, using tools such as Microsoft Excel and Tableau
- Strong desire to get stuck in, meet new people and take on new challenges
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
You will join a highly collaborative team of exceptionally talented data scientists, data architects, engineers, and designers. As a part of our design team, you will have a focus on data visualisation for advanced analytics, creating work both for clients and internal projects.
QuantumBlack, which is part of McKinsey & Company, helps companies use data to drive decisions. We combine business experience, expertise in large-scale data analysis and visualization, and advanced software engineering know- how to deliver results. From aerospace to finance to Formula One, we help companies prototype, develop, and deploy bespoke data science and data visualisation solutions to make better decisions.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Your work will primarily include data visualisation design, but there will sometimes be user interface and presentation material to design.
Your role will involve working closely with our engagement managers and data scientists to help tell stories with data and visualise insights in a compelling and insightful way. It is important that you can think strategically and communicate data-driven insights by transforming science and numbers into easily understandable visualisation.
In this role you will design static and interactive data visualisations, infographics and presentation material (along with user interfaces) for our clients and internal products. You will have a knack for using a logical approach to solve complex design problems, and a user-centred approach to data visualization and UI design. Being part of a close-knit & dynamic design team, including UX and Visual Designers, you will collaborate with front-end engineers, data scientists and product/client managers, rapidly creating concepts, prototyping and iterating on ideas. Data will often drive your designs as you translate numbers into meaningful graphics.
- Real-World Impact – No project is ever the same; we work across multiple sectors, providing unique learning and development opportunities internationally.
- Fusing Tech & Leadership – We work with the latest technologies and methodologies and offer first class learning programmes at all levels.
- Multidisciplinary Teamwork - Our teams include data scientists, engineers, project managers, UX and visual designers who work collaboratively to enhance performance.
- Innovative Work Culture – Creativity, insight and passion come from being balanced. We cultivate a modern work environment through an emphasis on wellness, insightful talks and training sessions.
- Striving for Diversity – With colleagues from over 40 nationalities, we recognise the benefits of working with people from all walks of life.
- Healthcare Efficiency – We helped a healthcare provider improve their clinical trial practices by identifying congestion in diagnostic testing as a key indicator of admissions breaches.
- Environmental Impact – We designed and built the first data-driven application for a state of the art centre of excellence in urban innovation by collecting real-time data from environmental sensors across London and deploying proprietary analytics to find unexpected patterns in air pollution.
- Product Development – We worked with the CEO of an elite automotive organisation to reduce the 18-month car development timeframe by improving processes, designs and team structures.