- Extensive experience in leading a Design team
- Preferably, experience of Design in a data science and software engineering context, with a strong interest in deepening expertise in this area
- A track record as a Designer
- A genuine client focus with experience in problem solving through Design
- A broad, inclusive view of design whilst acknowledging the differences between the disciplines (e.g. UX, visual design, service design)
- Experience in building a Design value proposition and communicating this in compelling and innovative ways to internal and external clients
- Knowledge of agile Design practices and programmes such as Sketch, Zeplin, Adobe CS and Invision
- Ideally a blend of agency and in-house experience, though this is not a prerequisite
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
As Global Head of Design for QuantumBlack, you will lead a talented team of Designers to deliver a clear vision for QB Design which aligns with our client value proposition, product strategy and is grounded in leading edge data science. You will have a broad spectrum of people to engage with your design vision and mission across the whole organisation and beyond.
Who you are
You are a Head of Design and a leading Design professional who enjoys building, guiding and coaching a team to create impact through Design. You have worked your way to become a Head of Design and want to continue focusing on the commercial side of bringing design into consulting projects. You will not be doing much hands on design work, but you will of course provide mentorship to the team where possible.
Preferably, you have experience in applying Design thinking and approaches to products and projects grounded in Data Science and as a minimum you have a strong interest in building expertise in this area. You are familiar with the latest thinking on agile Design practices and have experience of coaching a team to adopt these. You are commercially aware and pragmatic when it comes to the trade-offs inherent in any design process. You have an ability to think strategically around how Design (UX, UI and data visualisation) can add value to both product and process design. You are a strong and effective communicator and influencer – a passionate advocate for the importance and value of good Design.
A core value at QuantumBlack is fusion and at the heart of our multi-disciplinary teams is the belief that the sum of individual parts will always be less than the impact of the entire team. You are a highly collaborative individual who is capable of laying aside your own agenda, listening to and learning from colleagues, challenging thoughtfully and prioritising impact. You search for ways to improve things and strive for excellence. You believe in iterative change, experimenting with new approaches, learning and improving to move forward quickly. Trust between colleagues is paramount – you are an individual who can always be trusted to work in the best interests of all colleagues and to achieve the best outcome for QuantumBlack and our clients. You are naturally enthusiastic and enjoy sharing your passion with others.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Lead, coach and develop a team of approximately ten Designers (mixture of UX and visual design). Build QB’s design capability globally by building the team and identifying opportunities to collaborate with other Design groups in the broader McKinsey
- Develop a clear vision and proposition for Design in QB and where it can add value to our products and client projects. Communicate that proposition in a compelling way to clients and colleagues by building a team that stands out from other consultancies and agencies
- Be a guardian for Design standards across QB whilst also taking commercials into account in all client delivery scoping, adopting an 80/20 approach
- Define agile ways of delivering Design and coach the team to adopt these practices
- Participate in client and product development discussions to ensure new projects are grounded in Design from the outset
- Build a strong network of colleagues across all QB Guilds and the broader McKinsey network, working collaboratively to ensure Design is well represented in all areas of the company and the broader firm
- Being a thought leader in the industry – contributing to Black papers, attending and speaking at Design conferences to bring leading edge thinking into QB, demonstrating QBs capabilities externally
What you’ll learn
As part of the leadership team at QuantumBlack, you will be driving the application of Design to leading edge Data Science products and projects. We are passionate about life-long learning and professional development for all colleagues. You will:
- Deepen your expertise in how to apply Design to create impact and value in the rapidly evolving Data Science/A.I. sector
- Develop your leadership capabilities with support from some of the best global leadership programs, developed by McKinsey
- Play a key role in the continued scale-up of QuantumBlack and develop your experience and knowledge of how to scale technology led organisations, successfully
- Gain exposure to clients at the most senior levels, working alongside McKinsey, improving your ability to engage a senior audience
- Real-World Impact – No project is ever the same; we work across multiple sectors, providing unique learning and development opportunities internationally.
- Fusing Tech & Leadership – We work with the latest technologies and methodologies and offer first class learning programmes at all levels.
- Multidisciplinary Teamwork - Our teams include data scientists, engineers, project managers, UX and visual designers who work collaboratively to enhance performance.
- Innovative Work Culture – Creativity, insight and passion come from being balanced. We cultivate a modern work environment through an emphasis on wellness, insightful talks and training sessions.
- Striving for Diversity – With colleagues from over 40 nationalities, we recognise the benefits of working with people from all walks of life.
- Healthcare Efficiency – We helped a healthcare provider improve their clinical trial practices by identifying congestion in diagnostic testing as a key indicator of admissions breaches.
- Environmental Impact – We designed and built the first data-driven application for a state of the art centre of excellence in urban innovation by collecting real-time data from environmental sensors across London and deploying proprietary analytics to find unexpected patterns in air pollution.
- Product Development – We worked with the CEO of an elite automotive organisation to reduce the 18-month car development timeframe by improving processes, designs and team structures.