Who we are
Our company has its roots in the Python data science community. Our leaders have had significant involvement in the creation and maintenance of NumPy, SciPy, Jupyter, Spyder, Dask, Conda, Numba, Anaconda and PyData NumFOCUS. Our mission is to connect companies to open-source communities to create sustainable solutions that benefit the whole ecosystem.
We accomplish this mission by providing various services ranging from open-source software development to training and consulting. We believe in a culture of do-ers, learners, and collaborators. We are looking for people who are motivated, humble, curious, and respectful of others.
Quansight is looking to hire several full-time remote Software Engineers - Jupyter Ecosystem to join our team of industry-leading data science and engineering professionals. This role’s primary focus is on open-source and consulting projects on the Jupyter Ecosystem. We are hiring at both the junior and senior levels.
We are seeking software engineers who are passionate about working on open-source software and serving the needs of users working in data science and machine learning. A core part of this position will involve becoming a Jupyter community member and helping improve and maintain this open-source ecosystem.
What you’ll do
Have you noticed Python’s explosion in data science and machine learning and tools like Jupyter, Pandas, and NumPy? Would you like to help support this community and build out the future of Jupyter?
In this position, you’ll get to:
- Design, propose, and implement features and work aligned with Jupyter’s open-source roadmap, and work with other contributors to build consensus around that work.
- Build user interfaces and integrations for data science projects within JupyterLab.
- Interact with clients from both industry and academia and help them leverage Jupyter tools effectively.
- Collaborate with, learn from, and mentor new and junior Jupyter contributors and colleagues.
- Being a part of the Jupyter community - actively participate in Jupyter community calls, workshops, and Jupyter-wide community initiatives.
- Help make the Jupyter community an inclusive, safe, and equitable place for contributors and users alike.
Position requirements (for all areas and projects)
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the entire software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, version control, testing and CI/CD
- Superb communication skills - this role entails significant work on open-source projects, so strong communication skills are essential for code reviews, technical discussions and online meetings.
- Ability to work independently and solve technical problems with innovative solutions.
- Empathy, a collaborative spirit, and the ability to work effectively with a diverse team.
- Experience in contributing to open-source projects and participating in open-source communities.
Potential areas of application
We acknowledge that the Jupyter ecosystem is vast, and there are many ways to contribute to the ecosystem and its community. This is the fast-track application to multiple roles spanning various projects in the Jupyter ecosystem.
We will consider applications covering the whole breadth of the Jupyter ecosystem.
However, we are particularly interested in seeing applications to the following projects and areas:
- JupyterLab and RetroLab
- Jupyter server
- Jupyter security (with a focus on discovering and fixing vulnerabilities and working with open source maintainers to alleviate such issues, working on security related content and sharing best practices with the wider community)
- Jupyter and distributed computing (for example, Jupyter Enterprise Gateway)
- JupyterHub and BinderHub
Depending on your particular area of interest we would like to see an alignment between this and technical skills such as:
- Async network and server programming in Python i.e. Tornado and/or FastAPI
- Kubernetes and containers expertise (e.g. Docker)
- DevOps or DevSecOps experience (such as monitoring, CI/CD, scripting and automation)
- Previous experience with cloud computing - AWS, GCP, Azure, Digital Ocean, OVH
- Experience of Infrastructure-as-Code (Ansible, Terraform and similar technologies)
- Experience in the application security field, including a good understanding of major vulnerabilities like XSS, CSRF, SQL Injection, Deserialization, RCE and so on.
- Basic knowledge of static and dynamic application security testing (SAST and DAST)
Bonus points - one or more of these skills/experiences will make your application stand out:
- Experience in building accessible web applications and familiarity with WCAG standards.
- An appreciation for the importance of good documentation.
- Proven experience mentoring/leading more junior software engineers.
- Experience with Jupyter’s applications, open standards, and architecture.
Please keep in mind that we are describing the background we imagine would best fit the role. Even if you don’t meet all of the requirements and are confident that you are up for the task, we want to get to know you!
Why You Should Join
You’ll become an essential part of a small, collaborative, fully distributed engineering team. We strive to provide a working environment that gives you room to learn and grow.
Quansight draws from experience in many large open source communities over the years. Because these communities operate remotely and strive to be as inclusive and participatory as possible, they must also strive to be more transparent and systematic in communicating, sharing information, and working. We are building a culture at Quansight that follows these principles and builds upon them.
We offer flexibility in work times and locations, and vacation time is not just encouraged but celebrated and enforced.
We offer competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, vision, dental, 401K, a comprehensive sick policy, and flexible paid time off for full-time salary based employees.
Where applicable, if you are located outside of the United States, we will work with you to get similar benefits according to your geographical context.
Where We Can Hire
Our engineering team is entirely remote. We are headquartered in Austin, Texas, and the majority of our team is U.S. based. We also have a significant presence in Europe, South America, and Asia. We will consider applicants anywhere (overlap with U.S. and Europe time zones is preferred).
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Belonging
Quansight understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialised and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.We are an equal opportunity employer - all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for recruitment, interviews, employment, training, compensation, promotion, and related activities. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Quansight Labs will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.