About the Team
Qualtrics is the technology platform that organizations use to collect, manage, and act on experience data, also called X-data™. The Qualtrics XM Platform™ is a system of action, used by teams, departments, and entire organizations to manage the four core experiences of business—customer, product, employee and brand—on one platform. Over 11,000 enterprises worldwide, including more than 75 percent of the Fortune 100 and the top 100 U.S. business schools, rely on Qualtrics to consistently build products that people love, create more loyal customers, develop a phenomenal employee culture, and build iconic brands. Join us on this adventure that can open many doors! If you’re searching for a company that’s dedicated to your ideas and growth, recognizes your unique contribution, fills you with purpose, and provides a fun, flexible and inclusive work environment - apply now!
The Core Platform organization is responsible for building and supporting critical systems and services which are used by all the Qualtrics’ product line teams. Examples range from a centralized messaging platform with client libraries, to our A/B testing service, to our asynchronous job ecosystem, to our logging, metrics, and alerting infrastructure, to our storage systems.
This role is focused on the Database Engineering subteam of Core Platform. The Database Engineering team supports our product teams with data storage solution choices, data modeling, performance, operations, and best practices. We support both Mysql and MongoDB, and are adding Redis support in 2021. Engineers on the team are not in traditional “DBA” roles--the perfect engineer for our team has a passion for storage in all forms, a zeal for efficient and robust tooling (build or buy), and the ability to communicate and work cross-team to accomplish engineering-wide initiatives.
- You will build systems to measure reliability of services and actively discover trends needing attention, including capacity planning
- You will fine tune services to reduce latency, conduct operational readiness reviews and automate continuous delivery of software changes
- You will enhance team runbooks and wikis to make everyone better
- Automation of vulnerability patching
- Building and maintaining tooling
- Improving data access policies and practices
- Application client driver upgrades, for example, with MySQL
- Investigating / recommending HA solutions for MySQL and Redis
- Data storage upgrade procedures--developing runbooks and teaching others
- Participation in on-call rotation including incident response and support
- Disaster Recovery strategies and tooling
- Bachelor's degree in CS preferred, or in a hard science or Information Systems
- 2+ years of software development or operations experience
- Experience with high-availability systems
- Excellent leadership, verbal, and written communication skills
- Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence
- Experience with AWS technologies, or other “devops” technologies including Docker, Jenkins, Puppet, Vault, orchestration frameworks such as K8s or Nomad
- Experience with shell scripts and/or other scripting languages like Python
- Experience with Unix/Linux platforms
- Experience with NOSQL technologies such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis etc.
- Experience with Mysql and/or RDBMS data modeling and performance tuning
- Proficiency solving problems and identifying the root cause of issues
- Experience running and maintaining highly available distributed systems
- Capability to retain composure and communicate effectively during operational incidents
- Ability to understand large systems, drilling down to code level
- Ability to communicate effectively to different levels of technical and non-technical audiences