At Qualia, we’ve built a new class of real estate technology that simplifies home buying and selling into an easy, understandable, and secure process. Our products bring together users from across the real estate ecosystem—homebuyers and sellers, lenders, title and escrow agents, and real estate agents—onto a single shared platform, providing greater clarity and transparency to real estate transactions. Today, millions of consumers use Qualia to close on homes every year.
Our security team is responsible for ensuring the security of both our technology and our organization as a whole. The team is responsible for application threat modeling, active penetration testing, design and oversight of secure development practices, development of tooling for exploit prevention and intrusion detection, and educating the organization on security best practices.
We take security extremely seriously and do not drag our metaphorical feet on it. Yes, sometimes taking proper security measures can seem onerous or paranoid. But we've got our priorities straight.
As a security engineer, you will work as a core member of the security team, with all of the responsibilities that entails. While this role doesn’t necessarily require that you’ve previously worked in an official security position, it does require a deep passion for security that you’ve curated on your own time and a broad understanding of technology ranging from front-end all the way down to assembly. You will need to learn quickly and deeply.
Your Day to Day / Things You May Work On
- Identify security flaws in technologies and processes through design reviews, code reviews, and active penetration testing
- Develop and operate tools to prevent, detect, investigate, and respond to security threats
- Reproduce vulnerability findings from multiple sources—including penetration tests, tooling, and external reports—and communicate the risk associated with those findings to the business
- Contribute towards building secure-by-default frameworks and infrastructure, ensuring the easy path is also the secure path
- Educate the company on security best practices by providing training and acting as a subject matter expert
The Experience We Are Looking For
- A strong interest in security and a curiosity for how things work
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in a relevant field of study (or equivalent experience)
- 3+ years of professional experience in software or security engineering role
- Development experience in Node.js, C#, Ruby, and/or Go
- Hands-on working experience with
- Penetration testing tools (e.g. Burp Suite, Nessus, Metasploit, or similar)
- DevOps (e.g. Kubernetes, AWS, Docker, monitoring tools, networking, git, etc.)
- A talent for communicating complex ideas in an easily-understandable way
- Our flat company structure empowers engineers to make product decisions
- We have a collaborative culture where engineers mentor each other
- Our team members take time to eat together and share conversation at our daily catered lunches
- We have fantastic locations in San Francisco, Austin, and Boulder.
- We offer generous compensation and benefits packages including medical, vision, and dental insurance and a flexible PTO policy,
About our Engineering Team
- Our engineering team demonstrates and values technical thought leadership.
- Qualia's Head of Design, Jack Lukic, is the creator of Semantic UI, one of the most popular open-source design frameworks. Qualia engineers learn this framework, and design patterns more generally, directly from the creator of the framework our front end is built on! Very few companies can say that.
- As part of our focus on continual learning and development, a Qualia team member gives an educational talk on something they're interested in every Thursday to the entire engineering and product team. Topics range from Kolmogorov complexity theory to the definition of art, to models of existential risk.