VP of People
Pyka is looking for a Software Engineer to join our experienced team working on simulation and automated testing for large autonomous airplanes. In this role, you will own our custom full-system flight simulator and end to end regression test suite, and you will strive to make them comprehensive, elegant, and informative. Below is a list of some current and future projects that you will contribute to:
- Full system simulation of autonomous aircraft, including 3D LIDAR-based obstacle avoidance (including basic aerodynamic
simulation and hardware-level simulation of all aircraft components)
- Hardware-in-the loop simulation built on a custom FPGA-based HIL simulation board
- Real-time performance profiling and regression testing
- Automated regression and integration testing infrastructure
At Pyka we develop autonomous electric aircraft to provide people with an affordable and safe air transport option for regional trips. We're building a future where everyone can visit a friend, partner, family member, or colleague in a nearby city by air --- where the trip is a beautiful, traffic-free, and environmentally responsible adventure.
To get there, we’re taking a different approach than most. We're applying our technologies to every industry where electric aircraft can be useful, starting with the highest value and most dangerous jobs. In doing so, we're building useful, game-changing products manufactured at scale, while perfecting the safety, reliability, and capabilities of our autonomy engine and electric propulsion systems.
Today, we supply our aircraft to agricultural service providers and farmers as an autonomous tool that makes aerial crop protection safer, more targeted and less harmful to surrounding environments. Our vehicles are highly economical to operate and easy to deploy. What you work on at Pyka makes people’s lives better now and brings the future of electric aviation one-step closer each day.
We design, develop and manufacture an ecosystem of core-technologies including proprietary flight control software, avionics, high power density motors, motor controllers, batteries, and custom carbon-fiber composite airframes. Our full-stack team is from Wisk, Joby Aviation, Waymo, Google[x], and Saildrone.
We foster a welcoming community within our company that promotes experimentation, asking questions, making simple solutions to complex problems, and expressing different views and opinions. We are a transparent company both internally and externally and do not believe in operating in “stealth mode.” Lastly, we don’t work 60 hour weeks, and don’t expect you to either. In this role you will have a great deal of responsibility, earn a competitive salary and benefits, and contribute to the development of groundbreaking technology.
- Work with the existing software team (currently five people) to contribute to an existing C++17 codebase.
- Design and implement new software components and corresponding tests.
- Contribute significantly to improving the current full-system simulator, including software- and hardware-in-the loop simulators.
- Implement testing infrastructure to enable other engineers to easily write tests for their software.
- Work closely with flight testing teams to identify, prioritize, and solve problems and write tests/simulations to ensure they remain fixed.
- 3+ years of professional experience with C++ (ideally C++11 or newer)
- Experience with simulation of physical systems
- Experience with software test infrastructure
- Passion for aviation
- Familiarity with robotic systems and aviation
- Working knowledge of trigonometry and linear algebra
- Energized by and excellent in building relationships
- Competitive salary and equity
- Employer-sponsored health, dental and vision insurance, FSA with employer matching, and 401(k)
- Paid holidays and unlimited PTO
- Free catered lunch and plenty of snacks