Pyka is looking for a Senior Test Pilot to support the development of its advanced autonomous aircraft systems. You'll take an active role in the development, test planning, and test execution of cutting-edge new technology and products. This is your opportunity to test, evaluate and deploy the aircraft of the future.
You'll be actively engaged in the flight test programs for our unmanned aircraft, from development of test programs to test execution and reporting. This is a multi-disciplinary role that interacts with multiple internal and external organizations, so written and verbal communication skills are critical. You'll be instrumental in ensuring the standardization of aircraft ground and flight operations and procedures, flight test and instructional techniques.
At Pyka we develop autonomous electric aircraft to provide people with an affordable and safe air transport option for regional trips. We're building a future where everyone can visit a friend, partner, family member, or colleague in a nearby city by air --- where the trip is a beautiful, traffic-free, and environmentally responsible adventure.
To get there, we’re taking a different approach than most. We're applying our technologies to every industry where electric aircraft can be useful, starting with the highest value and most dangerous jobs. In doing so, we're building useful, game-changing products manufactured at scale, while perfecting the safety, reliability, and capabilities of our autonomy engine and electric propulsion systems.
Today, we supply our aircraft to agricultural service providers and farmers as an autonomous tool that makes aerial crop protection safer, more targeted and less harmful to surrounding environments. Our vehicles are highly economical to operate and easy to deploy. What you work on at Pyka makes people’s lives better now and brings the future of electric aviation one-step closer each day.
We design, develop and manufacture an ecosystem of core-technologies including proprietary flight control software, avionics, high power density motors, motor controllers, batteries, and custom carbon-fiber composite airframes. Our full-stack team is from Wisk, Joby Aviation, Waymo, Google[x], and Saildrone.
We foster a welcoming community within our company that promotes experimentation, asking questions, making simple solutions to complex problems, and expressing different views and opinions. We are a transparent company both internally and externally and do not believe in operating in “stealth mode.” Lastly, we don’t work 60 hour weeks, and don’t expect you to either. In this role you will have a great deal of responsibility, earn a competitive salary and benefits, and contribute to the development of groundbreaking technology.
- Support development, operation and demonstration of autonomous aircraft systems in and around the Yolo County area (flight operations are currently based in Winters, CA).
- Recommend new features, improvements, design changes, etc. to the design team
- Serve as Pilot In Command of experimental / developmental unmanned aircraft
- Develop test strategies, test plans and test procedures for the aircraft and components given systems requirements
- Lead and/or participate in ground and flight test events as Test Conductor or Test Crew member
- Manage complex logistics
- Experience flying fixed wing UAVs / model aircraft or large multirotors
- Extensive knowledge of aircraft systems, manuals, aircraft manufacturer manuals
- Direct experience in the conduct of ground and flight tests of manned and/or unmanned aircraft
- Direct experience developing and/or reviewing test strategies and programs and in test execution and reporting
- Independent and motivated, with an extremely strong work ethic; able to self-direct and manage time
- Willingness to travel to support Pyka activities (to domestic and international locations)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Competitive salary and equity
- Employer-sponsored health, dental and vision insurance, FSA with employer matching, and 401(k)
- Paid holidays and unlimited PTO
- Free catered lunch and plenty of snacks
- Opportunity to work on large autonomous aircraft and see them fly